Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times

Advertisements

As Community Watch captain in my community, I have needed RPD assistance and always received it promptly.

One time there was an alarm activation apparently from a system glitch in the clubhouse. I was on the gym and let the RPD on premises, They apologized for the 2 hour delay because of workload.

Another time, a call to RPD about a blocked handicap parking spot was handled in minutes.

I consider their response time very acceptable.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I agree. HOW?

I know about the lights outside, but what about break in's during the day?
Get a large chew bone from a pet store. Beat it up and put it out back next to a large bowl.

Set a motion detector to operate during the day that triggers a recording of a barking dog. Front and back.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Sounds like they knew exactly what they would find and where, this does not sound random at all.
That was my point.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Ok,now after reading all of this, I'm getting worried! Our yard is not fenced and full of trees and our back door is all glass, and down the front on either side of our front door are full windows so anyone could smash one and open the door. The deadbolt doesnt do any good on either of these doors!
I shouldn't have read this thread!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Ok,now after reading all of this, I'm getting worried! Our yard is not fenced and full of trees and our back door is all glass, and down the front on either side of our front door are full windows so anyone could smash one and open the door. The deadbolt doesnt do any good on either of these doors!
I shouldn't have read this thread!
You can get safety film placed on the glass on/near the door. For example:
3M Scotchshield Automotive Security Films - Clear and tinted Security films for cars, trucks - 3M Scotchshield

"Because these films help hold the glass together, a stronger barrier is created, slowing down criminals to the point where they may choose to flee for an easier target."

Huper Optik Select Series Window Film, Specifications, Features, Benefits, Quote Request Form

Added benefit of heat blocking if you use a film with tint.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
You can get safety film placed on the glass on/near the door. For example:
3M Scotchshield Automotive Security Films - Clear and tinted Security films for cars, trucks - 3M Scotchshield

"Because these films help hold the glass together, a stronger barrier is created, slowing down criminals to the point where they may choose to flee for an easier target."

Huper Optik Select Series Window Film, Specifications, Features, Benefits, Quote Request Form

Added benefit of heat blocking if you use a film with tint.
Film with tint would be a double bonus-Thanks!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:22 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
He got a dog. He also bought an old pick up to park in the driveway so it looked like someone was there. He bought and installed better locks and deadbolts. But the reality is, if someone wants into your house there is NOTHING you can really do. All we can do is try to keep out the 'crooks of opportunity' I see so many houses with their garage doors open when they are home. I can see you have a nice bike, a new lawnmower ect just by cruising past. It stinks, but it is reality. You have to be vigilant...
Loud, obnoxious dogs work well. There's no way any sane person is going to try to break into my house after hearing my four go into "someone's at the door" mode. They even drive away some solicitors, so I don't have to answer the door.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
You guys have mostly missed the boat.

The only answer is to punish anyone who breaks in SEVERELY..cut off hand, both hands, both legs, or better yet, simple shoot or hang. After several of those, break ins will cease.

No one accidentally breaks into another's home, No one breaks in because their ancestors were slaves, no on breaks in because their father is a meth addict, no one breaks in because they dropped out of school. They break in to steal your stuff.

I know the libs will be in horror, but it works. Obviously, there will be no repeat offenders, and that is probably 85% of the issue, done with, right there. Over, kaput! Simple solutions to simple problems.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
More like simple minds....

Iran has the Justice system you seek. Have a nice trip. Now go play while the adults talk.....

Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Punishment around here is spending a day in court, awaiting your sentencing of "probation" or "parole". Burglary, is not something that gets punished by our courts. Most walk out of the courtroom and right back to work, stealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary