Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,171,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I find it funny that there are so many people that post about animals, bugs etc when moving here.
Those things didnt even cross my mind when deciding on a place to move, and I don't mind the gator strolling through my yard.
Thinking back towards the "big city folks who regret moving here" topic, I wonder - the existence of any creatures beyond pigeons & other birds and maybe mice & rats could be a foreign concept to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM

210 posts, read 424,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Thinking back towards the "big city folks who regret moving here" topic, I wonder - the existence of any creatures beyond pigeons & other birds and maybe mice & rats could be a foreign concept to them.
You are right, and the idea of seeing a snake, gator, etc… in my backyard is very alarming, especially with kids and pets in the equation. Not too long ago I read an article about a woman in SC who came home one night and found a gator in her backyard. The gator was spotted by her dog. That's just crazy to me (a city person).

However, the city life is no longer for my family and I. Therefore, I have to weight what I can compromise in other to reach my goal.

I am indeed interested in Raleigh. I am also very interested in Richmond. I realize that I would have to deal with this issue any place outside of the big cities.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,159,714 times
You won't find any gators around Raleigh. The Fayetteville are, about an hour southeast of here, is about as close as they have wandered. We have most everything else though!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,080,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
You won't find any gators around Raleigh. The Fayetteville are, about an hour southeast of here, is about as close as they have wandered. We have most everything else though!
LOL, true story: yesterday my daughter and I were over at Crossroads by Kohls and as we drove past the slimy little pond there, my daughter screams, "Mom, I think I saw an alligator in the pond!" I said no, there's no way you saw an alligator, they don't come this far north. In all my years here, I don't recall an alligator in the triangle".
So once we got out, we marched over to the pond, where I was expecting to see a floating piece of wood or debris with a gator shaped head with the words "I told you so" already forming....we get to the edge of the pond and sure enough, I see not one, but TWO alligators floating in pond!! I kept thinking I must not be seeing correctly, there's no way there's an alligators in Cary!! And of course my daughter was already whipping out her I phone to post a selfie of her with alligators in the background all over social media: Alligator in Cary shopping center!!!
ANd although it took a few minutes, I came back back to my senses finally figured out they are floating gator decoys to keep the geese away! :

They sure as heck fooled the two of us, but the geese seemed totally unfazed! Predator Control and Deterrents: Floating Gator Pond Decoy

Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,184,287 times
Seen in our yard: fox, Great Horned Owl, raccoon, deer (dozens), rat snake (neighbors have seen copperheads), frogs, toads, neighborhood cats, wolf spiders.

Neighbors in the 'hood reported hearing the chuffing of a black bear. Apparently they know the sound based on where they moved here from having a lot of bear. Others have reported hearing coyotes. I can't hear any of that because the frog symphony drowns out their howls.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,506,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
No gators in Raleigh. I've seen them down at Southport (beach area about 2.5 hours away). Client of mine that lives in Highland Creek said they got a notice yesterday that someone had seen a black bear and to please keep their kids and pets inside until it was caught!!!
Vicki
Yeah the black bear made quite a stir. Yesterday in Jacksonville there was a report that a 12 foot gator took a lady's German Shepherd right off the leash.
I see lots of birds and deer here near Wake Tech on 401.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

210 posts, read 424,584 times
Thank you everyone for the input.

How about bugs?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,671,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
Thank you everyone for the input.

How about bugs?
There are bugs but there is nothing to worry about.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM

5,738 posts, read 17,579,361 times
There seem to be a lot of spiders this time of the year. I ride my bike in the woods, and by the time I get done, I am covered with webs. Yuck. I walk out my front door to go to my car in the driveway and I go through a web or two. Yuck.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM

748 posts, read 1,374,213 times
There is a story online about a 12 foot alligator in Jacksonville, NC, that ate an 80 pound husky!

Jacksonville police kill gator after it ate dog :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary