Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

holy ^&%#$^^&! That thing is huge!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 01:24 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Yes, we have bugs. But I've lived in Richmond and Raleigh both, and you wont find a significance in the bug population. They are plentiful and annoying.

Don''t forget that Raleigh is the 'City of Oaks', AKA 'City of Fat and Happy Squirrels'. It is not unheard of for squirrels as large as small alligators to be seen in our beautiful parks. Luckily they are vegetarians.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:25 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Yes, we have bugs. But I've lived in Richmond and Raleigh both, and you wont find a significance in the bug population. They are plentiful and annoying.

Don''t forget that Raleigh is the 'City of Oaks', AKA 'City of Fat and Happy Squirrels'. It is not unheard of for squirrels as large as small alligators to be seen in our beautiful parks. Luckily they are vegetarians.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
Thank you everyone for the input. How about bugs?
The snakes take care of most of them.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 AM

210 posts, read 425,851 times
I don't have issues with bugs that much, but it's a huge deal for my wife.

Therefore, it is now an issue for me. What kind of bugs have you all seen? I understand that it really depends on where you live. I just want to have a general idea to make an informed decision.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
You're making way too much of this.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:18 AM

826 posts, read 1,931,989 times
Try reading through this thread, which is pretty recent.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ly-bad-nc.html

At the bottom of the page, there will be a list of related threads which also addresses the bug issue. Just remember, a lot depends on what kind of lot you live in - a clear cut lot in a newish neighborhood will most likely have less of the snakes, ticks, and bugs than a lot with more trees or water nearby.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Unless you're living someplace truly rural the bugs aren't going to be anything unusual. There are different spiders down here than what you would see in NYC but the truly scary ones always stay outside. The ones that make it inside are pretty much the same ones you're accustomed to now. We have huge palmetto's that generally hang out where there's vegetation and moisture but while they certainly look like the roaches you know all too well they're not.

As for animals, swap deer for pigeons and accept that there are snakes, that you're going to encounter them on occasion and Voila you're properly adjusted. And despite having an active copperhead community on my property I've found that understanding them and how they live is an effective means of coexistence. I keep areas where we hang out clear of ground covering debris, I wear heavy shoes and stomp a bit when walking through leafy areas and I keep an eye out for moving sticks and branches. Plus they tend to let you know they're there long before it becomes a problem (they actually vibrate their tail like a rattler). They also help keep the field mice population under control which solves another potential problem.

If you move into the more established and developed neighborhoods this is all less of an issue because the wildlife tends to migrate to where they can avoid human contact. We have friends living in Wakefield who have never encountered a snake or deer on their property, only dogs who have jumped their fences.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
Aloupha,
based on what I've read so far, I would make this suggestion for you to consider- stay nearer to town, don't "go rural".
All of the things that are of concern to you will be found in any city you choose- Richmond, Little Rock, Portland, D.C...it won't matter. Nature was here first and will continue to be around to some degree.
Since you are city people, live in or close to the city- its a very different style of life down here than in NYC, where I believe you said you are currently. Buildings are shorter, population density is less ..but the traffic may get your goat here, too.
If you are actually city dwellers, even some of the planned neighborhoods could work for you- homes are close together and usually there are amenities like club houses or pools or something, and that may be enough of a change for you to embrace without being overwhelmed.
You will NOT want to move to a rural neighborhood where you can't see your neighbor and the deer/ 'coons/ foxes/ o'possums, etc wander your property at night making noises that you aren't accustomed to in all that "quiet" based on what you've written about yourselves.
Bugs are everywhere, get an exterminator service to take care of that, regardless.

You can worry yourselves to death over the little stuff, but you really need to be concerned about the things that you can have control over- like finding the best schools for your kids, the shortest commute to your job and how convenient is the grocery store.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Actually squirrels are omnivores. I found this out when I put out meal worms for bluebirds, and the squirrels ate them all!

The worst bugs around here are mosquitoes, imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary