Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 07:13 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,923 times

Advertisements

I tried the whole call and cancel all my TV. Everyone I know was called back and offered a lower rate the next day.So I called and cancelled all my TV with them and guess what, one ever called to offer us a better deal. We've been TV less for months and turns out it really isn't that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:45 PM

353 posts, read 458,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
I tried the whole call and cancel all my TV. Everyone I know was called back and offered a lower rate the next day.So I called and cancelled all my TV with them and guess what, one ever called to offer us a better deal. We've been TV less for months and turns out it really isn't that bad.
Yeah it really isn't. I have an antenna so I can get the locals. Anything else I want to watch I just stream it online. I'm really hoping that Google Fiber does make its way to the Triangle. We really need some serious competition for TWC. It's ridiculous how these monopolies are allowed to be perpetuated.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 PM

171 posts, read 447,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piesafes View Post
Can't say I have done "Everyday Low Price Internet." But I am using the Earthlink Service. Earthlink uses TWC cables lines, I get a TWC cable bill but for Earthlink service. It is $41.95/month and has been for at least 3 years. I was a TWC internet subscriber, dropped it, and switched to Earthlink without a waiting period. Dropped my internet bill by ~$15-20 per month. Netflix and Hulu stream just fine for me although sometimes there are slow periods. Doesn't work if you bundle though.
I've been on Earthlink for several months. Paying $30 and no modem fee for "Earthlink High Speed".

Got a letter from TWC recently regarding new prices. Looks like steep increases and the dreaded 'modem fee'. Might just buy a modem to avoid that racket.

I'd switch to AT&T, which seems to be the only alternative to TWC/Earthlink in Raleigh, but they require you to pay for landline phone service. Somebody tell them it's 2014, not 1994.

Last edited by jupiter; 03-24-2014 at 10:24 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
TWC has a special for $35 for the same 15 mb internet. It's good for a year. I'll switch to that when I get booted off the Earthlink rebranded for $29.95. Just have to get a modem.

Then, when the year is up, my dog will sign up for it as a new customer (won't be the first time she's gotten mail & packages).

Rinse. Repeat. Etc. Two can play this game...

Although I'll definitely miss the no tax Earthlink. Just like cell companies, the cable companies throw in all sorts of hidden taxes and fees. I finally escaped from most of them on my cell by going prepaid but no way to avoid them on the internet side of the house. Ugh.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:51 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
TWC has a special for $35 for the same 15 mb internet. It's good for a year. I'll switch to that when I get booted off the Earthlink rebranded for $29.95. Just have to get a modem.

Then, when the year is up, my dog will sign up for it as a new customer (won't be the first time she's gotten mail & packages).

Rinse. Repeat. Etc. Two can play this game...
So you actually disconnect and then wait for a few days?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
There is no reason to disconnect with TWC. Simply look up the promos of competing businesses and call and ask for the retention dept. at TWC. If they don't agree to match the price tell them you want to disconnect. They'll try to call your bluff by setting up a disconnect order including the day and time your service will be disconnected. THEY WILL NOT DISCONNECT YOUR SERVICE!! They'll call you back within an hour of your service termination time and offer a better rate. Guaranteed!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
There is no reason to disconnect with TWC. Simply look up the promos of competing businesses and call and ask for the retention dept. at TWC. If they don't agree to match the price tell them you want to disconnect. They'll try to call your bluff by setting up a disconnect order including the day and time your service will be disconnected. THEY WILL NOT DISCONNECT YOUR SERVICE!! They'll call you back within an hour of your service termination time and offer a better rate. Guaranteed!
Not true anymore.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
So you actually disconnect and then wait for a few days?
Schedule it back to back. You could schedule it for the 1st of the month and call later and have is disconnected on the 31st. I assume it's only for new customers, so you'd have to schedule it under a different name. In the past I've used my dog's name. It's fun to see who TWC (and other businesses) sell your name to.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Not true anymore.
I actually have to call them today to have them price match a competitor as my 2-year contract ran out. I'll let you know if they turn me off.

So fast I still have time to edit this post. That was the absolute easiest contract renewal I have ever had with TWC. Makes me think their customer service has improved. I was currently under a 2-year promotion which expired this month. I just renewed it for another 2 years. I normally wouldn't sign up under a contract but I make an exception for TWC as I don't care about switching since I'm satisfied with the service. But since I hate to negotiate rates with TWC a contract means I won't have to negotiate for another 2 years. With the new rate increase my bill is now $74.57/month for basic/standard cable with variety pass (whatever that is) & dvr and standard internet. I own the modem so no fee there.

Love, love, love TWC!!

Last edited by underPSI; 03-26-2014 at 07:21 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 PM

90 posts, read 118,977 times
They're also trying to slow down streams for companies such as netflix, unless they pay twc. It's quite the cartel. Our internet is ten to twenty times slower than Asia, and significantly more expensive. Monopolies rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary