Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM

487 posts, read 891,098 times

Advertisements

If you call to cancel, they will try to keep you by lowering the price. Stick to your guns and you should be able to get a pretty low price. You don't lose anything except (in the worst case) a few days of service - you can always go crawling back.

You could also sign up for AT&T uverse if it's available in your area, and get one of the new customer discounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I was on the phone with them the last 30 minutes. Right now I have HS (15 mg) internet, digital phone and digital TV. I pay $125 a month

I want to drop to standard cable (Channels up to 73) and the same internet. No phone. Told them bill with tax must be below $100 and they wont do it. $108 is best they will do. That was through the retention dept. I told them I was leaving unless they got me below $100. No can do.

They say the internet below my speed will not stream radio or support wireless. Such a rip off. My wife will divorce me if we dont have Sci-fi channel and food network....lol
You have to actually drop the service and be prepared to go satellite or switch to AT&T. TWC will call back within 24hrs to see if they can get you back.

15M down speeds should be sufficient for streaming. Your limitation may be in the cable modem. I chose to buy my own modem when TWC announced it would be $4/mo for modem rental fees. I bought a Motorola surfboard modem with DOCSIS 3.0 to support my future streaming plans.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
We've got standard digital cable with two CableCards for our TiVo boxes, 15/1 Internet, and home phone with nationwide long distance. Our price just went up from $92 to $99 after a promotion expired. List price would have been $135 or something like that, but they automatically put us on another 1-year promotion at the $99 rate (before taxes...final cost is around $106.).

Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 AM

663 posts, read 1,619,608 times
Promotion expired and we got a letter stating that they gave another promotion but effectively raised our total monthly amount by at least 20 bucks My TWC account is on my wife's name. Can we cancel and take a new connection in my name? Thx

Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
It's like airline tickets --- its seems like no two customers pay the same price for the same service.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
I am actually calling DirecTV today... TWC sucks!
If you're a new customer to DirecTV you'll love the experience. But remember this very important fact about dealing with them, once they have you under contract you're just another account and your bills will climb as well.

I believe the only way to stay ahead of these new customer scams is to swap services every two years.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM

210 posts, read 426,441 times
Isn't Verizon Fios available there?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I've been a happy Dish customer for 3 years. Once you go HD it's really hard to go back...

Check into Google Voice & the Obi devices as well for even cheaper home phone.

For those interested in cell phones I'm testing out Net10 using the BYOP program it appears as though they use postpaid Verizon and Att coverage for $45/month taxes included.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
If you're a new customer to DirecTV you'll love the experience. But remember this very important fact about dealing with them, once they have you under contract you're just another account and your bills will climb as well.

I believe the only way to stay ahead of these new customer scams is to swap services every two years.

I have found that switching services is the way the get the best rates. When your promo rate or bundle package expires call the other company in your area and see what they have to offer.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
The official word from Ooma (Advanced setup options | Free Internet Home Phone Service | Ooma) is that alarm systems won't work. Googling produces instances when they do work; I presume Ooma is trying to protect itself against instances when they don't. Even if yours doesn't and you have to buy an ordinary analog landline from AT&T solely for your alarm, you might still come out ahead financially. And remember, that landline can be a big help on occasion -- such as dialing 911 when there's a power outage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary