Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:29 AM

171 posts, read 447,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
I've been on TW standard internet for about a year at a 'promotional' rate of $35/mo (I own my cable modem, so no modem rental fee). When this promotion expires, what should I expect the rate to jump to?

Wondering if I should preemptively strike and switch elsewhere.
Just saw the new bill. My rate for standard internet jumped up to $45 (I own my cable modem).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM

23 posts, read 43,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
We kicked TWC to the curb last year after we bought an antenna that gives us all the local channels. For everything else, we have a Roku with Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. Don't miss cable at all, and turning in my cable box was an incredibly rewarding experience. I wasn't the only one doing it that day either.
What are you doing for Internet at home?

Old 04-27-2015, 03:57 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I purchased a DTV receiver (over the air broadcast), made a indoor antenna, cut out cable TV, and cut my internet speed to the lowest service level available. I now pay a total of $14.95 a month for Cable. I too got tired of their outrageous billing for terrible TV. I've been without cable for about 5? years now and don't miss it.

The straw that broke this camel's back was when I was watching a foreign movie with subtitles on some channel, and they started overlaying advertising for some other shows at the bottom of the screen, obscuring what was going on in the movie I was trying to watch. At that moment I realized they have absolutely no respect for their customers and I could do without cable.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Just saw the WRAL article "Beginners Guide to Cutting Cable" by Joe Ovies...

Haven't read it yet but it looks like lots of great detailed information..

Old 04-29-2015, 11:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Just saw the WRAL article "Beginners Guide to Cutting Cable" by Joe Ovies...

Haven't read it yet but it looks like lots of great detailed information..
How about a link? I couldn't turn it up in a search.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
How about a link? I couldn't turn it up in a search.
First link from a google search shows a sports related one from that author. This is probably it.

Unbundling: A beginner's guide to sports without cable :: WRALSportsFan.com

There are several others found with a "Beginners Guide to Cutting Cable" search.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
First link from a google search shows a sports related one from that author. This is probably it.

That is the one but the article goes beyond sports....

"First in a series of posts chronicling the adventures of ditching cable in favor of alternative methods for watching television. Joe Ovies provides the basic needs for making the switch."

Old 04-29-2015, 12:03 PM

386 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post

There are several others found with a "Beginners Guide to Cutting Cable" search.
I think this is completely do-able for me (will have to consider when my promotional rate runs out in September). I don't watch much TV other than local news and sports channels (ESPN). I watch Netflix/Hulu on the AppleTV and a lot of Redbox movies.

If I just get a digital antenna and Slingbox for $15-20/month, I'll have to compare that to what my cable rate is come the fall.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:26 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
I think this is completely do-able for me (will have to consider when my promotional rate runs out in September). I don't watch much TV other than local news and sports channels (ESPN). I watch Netflix/Hulu on the AppleTV and a lot of Redbox movies.

If I just get a digital antenna and Slingbox for $15-20/month, I'll have to compare that to what my cable rate is come the fall.
It was easy for us. We dropped CATV last Sept. Digital antenna for news, Hulu Plus, Netflix, and took advantage of Amazon Prime since we've been prime members anyway. It's been nice streaming whole series of shows we had not seen (Sopranos, Mad Men, Deadwood, etc) night after night, it has helped with continuity!

Old 05-05-2015, 01:49 PM

171 posts, read 447,998 times
I am reminded that the people TW employs for online chat must have dropped out of elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary