Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:44 PM

610 posts, read 745,482 times

Advertisements

Our Time-Warner bill went up $38 this year. Last year, DH got them to reduce it $20 but when he called earlier in the week, they refused to do anything for us.

Now we're looking at Directv. I'm not thrilled, at the best I'll lose one of my important channels (I mostly watch news, documentaries and military stuff) and at worst? Who knows.

I just hope it's reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,425,402 times
We left TWC and went to Dish. During storms the signal will go out, or if there is heavy rain between the dish and the satellite. Other than that it's been great.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 7,068 times
I can not wait to tell time warner cable that I am done with them. Waiting till school is out so I do not distrupt internet service I have. Pay over 200 a month and it is ridiculous. What are my options?

Old 05-16-2015, 09:48 AM

5,123 posts, read 3,739,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgames View Post
I can not wait to tell time warner cable that I am done with them. Waiting till school is out so I do not distrupt internet service I have. Pay over 200 a month and it is ridiculous. What are my options?
I need the internet and a landline phone. I might give Direct TV a shot for a year or whatever the required period is on sign up. I watch the news and the occasional sporting event on Sundays. No way I am ponying up $150 for internet a phone and television. Hulu Plus and Netfix might be a couple of other cheap options.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:40 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,533,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I need the internet and a landline phone. I might give Direct TV a shot for a year or whatever the required period is on sign up. I watch the news and the occasional sporting event on Sundays. No way I am ponying up $150 for internet a phone and television. Hulu Plus and Netfix might be a couple of other cheap options.
You can buy internet only, however make sure you have the latest wireless router. Here is one for example:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer...ywords=tp+link
If you have an old "G" only router, you are not going to get the advertised speeds.

For your phone, I suggest Callcentric. You will need one of these:

Linksys PAP2T NA VoIP Adapter Unlocked Authentic w Free US Shipping | eBay

Old 09-05-2016, 11:28 AM

166 posts, read 418,764 times
Is anyone still getting Time Warner's "Everyday Low Price" $14.99 internet package? My mom's cable bill is way too high (see below). We're dropping the cable TV completely and I'm wondering if I could drop her internet package down to something cheaper. She lives alone and her only real internet usage is watching Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,291,899 times
We dropped them when the bill got to $230 for phone, internet and cable after trying for months to get them to lower it. When I walked in with the boxes they asked if I called to tell them I was cancelling. Told them no cause they didn't seem to care when I'd call for them to lower the bill and basically said I was going to. Now they're hounding us with $69 a month for all three for a year. Won't fall for that again!

Instead we got a cheap $10 antenna from Big Lots to get the networks and about 40 channels. It even pulls in channels from Wilmington! Also got a Roku stick with the quad processor for $40 bucks and added Netflix and Hulu, not to mention all the free channels Roku gets. Now just pay $70 for internet. Couldn't be happier! Highly recommend it - very freeing!!

Old 09-05-2016, 12:07 PM

19,425 posts, read 27,793,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
Is anyone still getting Time Warner's "Everyday Low Price" $14.99 internet package? My mom's cable bill is way too high (see below). We're dropping the cable TV completely and I'm wondering if I could drop her internet package down to something cheaper. She lives alone and her only real internet usage is watching Netflix or Amazon Prime.

That service is too slow for streaming. You'll need at least the 15 mps speed plan. I just got them to drop my price from (roughly) $45/month to $30 per month for one year. Took lots of phone calls and threats to dump them until I got somebody with common sense.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:14 PM

166 posts, read 418,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Now just pay $70 for internet.
That still seems high. Have you looked at Earthlink?...

Cable Internet - Standard - Up to 15 Mbps
$29.95/mo. First 6 Months, $41.95/mo. thereafter

I'm thinking about switching. I had the TWC 15 Mbps package for years and it was more than enough. The only bandwidth-heavy thing I do is Netflix and HD streams are 3-5 Mbps each. From what I understand, Earthlink's cable internet uses the TWC lines so you don't need to actually do anything other than call them and switch your service.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,425,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
That still seems high. Have you looked at Earthlink?...

Cable Internet - Standard - Up to 15 Mbps
$29.95/mo. First 6 Months, $41.95/mo. thereafter

I'm thinking about switching. I had the TWC 15 Mbps package for years and it was more than enough. The only bandwidth-heavy thing I do is Netflix and HD streams are 3-5 Mbps each. From what I understand, Earthlink's cable internet uses the TWC lines so you don't need to actually do anything other than call them and switch your service.
That EarthLink tier is 50/5 service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary