Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,738,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
The "promotional" step rate increases, modem fees, now add'l "equipment fees" for me because my old promotion ended...its out of control. I just called today and told them to cancel my service at the end of this billing period. We'll see if I get that infamous call from the retentions department, and if so, what they offer.

If not...I guess I'll be trying someone else.

Such a hassle!

Let us know what happens if you have a chance.

I've learned that in order to get a lower rate, now you have to call them before your old promotion expires because once it does, they won't give your old rate back to you for another promo extension.

So tired of them.
best,
toodie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM

342 posts, read 751,800 times
Another option is Earthlink. They resell the Time Warner internet service and chances are if you have TWC now you can get Earthlink. If you need Internet only it may be worth a look. They seem to be a bit cheaper. And to switch you only need to call them and they do the switch in the network. No hardware swap. And a friend of mine says his 15M service actually gets 25M a great deal of the time.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM

49 posts, read 81,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
How long does that deal last?
It's not a deal. That's how much their most basic package costs. It might have gone up to $20 since I last checked, but I still think it's fair price.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Since the promotion period expired my cable bill jumped up $25 this month. I called TWC retention department and they would only reduce the bill $7 per month, so I turned in my cable box and cancelled service except for internet. I may switch to Earthlink for that shortly but changing email addresses will be a pain.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 AM

13 posts, read 30,311 times
I figured since I just went through this I'd let everyone know of another option. If you have a Twitter account, or make one, you can tweet to @TWC_Help and say something along the lines of "TWC has become too expensive and I can't afford it anymore, ready to cancel."

Since those tweets are public, TWC is a lot faster to respond to them. They'll ask you to message you the name and phone number on the account, and let you know they'll get back to you soon. I did this around noon, and by 8PM that night I had someone calling me from TWC to reduce the costs.

First he offered me $100 after taxes for Turbo Internet and Digital Cable with 1 HD DVR box for a year. I told him AT&T could get it down to $85, and so he came down to $90 a month for the same services for 2 years.

Having no worries about this occurring again for 2 years was enough for me to agree to those terms. Plus I'll be buying a modem soon to take that price down another $6 a month.

Hopefully this can help a few of you.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,432 times
Default It Worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Let us know what happens if you have a chance.

I've learned that in order to get a lower rate, now you have to call them before your old promotion expires because once it does, they won't give your old rate back to you for another promo extension.

So tired of them.
best,
toodie
My promotional period ended in May (I think), but at that time they sent me a letter saying they were extending it for another three months. That ended last month so when I got my bill for August, it had gone up almost $30. My two-year promotional rate already had a step increase in it, so I think I was about $50 higher than the price when I originally signed up.

Anyway, I called Tier 1. No help; they transferred me to "promotions." She couldn't find anything lower. So I told her I needed a couple weeks to research other options but to go ahead and put in the cancel order for the end of this billing period (which is end of August).

The very next morning, I got a call from the "Customer Loyalty" department. She asked why I was canceling, I told her it was too high and no arguing or pleading needed, she lowered me back down to my initial rate...almost $50 less.

My neighbor, on the other hand, just took all her equipment into a TWC office and cancelled there. She never got a call. I think the key is put the cancel order in for a week or two in the future.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 AM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
At this point I don't really care if I get a call from TWC or not. We only watched about three channels anyway since there wasn't really much on worth watching. I get tired of playing the pricing games and I'm sure TWC won't go broke because I cancelled their service but the value simply isn't there for me anymore at the higher price. I grew up in the days when no one had cable, so it's no big deal for me not to have it now.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM

150 posts, read 289,250 times
hi just joining this thread.
We have phone, internet and TV with TWC. have dropped any extra channels from TV already, need internet for work and need phone because it is connected to a "life alert" system for my mom... The charges are just too much.
I called TW about an hour ago to see if they could help...
HA HA HA
After being cut off three times, the final person said that we could drop our digital services ( meaning we would have up to channel 77. However, by doing this we would
change our monthly bill from $189.00 (outrageous) to $ 210.00 (INSANE!!!) because we were "downgrading our bundle".

AT&T doesnt have uverse in our areas so it's pretty much the same services but with dish network (or was it direct TV) with them. After 12 months price would go up to $200.

I need help! this is ridiculous, what do the rest of you do?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM

150 posts, read 289,250 times
Maybe the whole "bundle" thing is a load of crap...
it sounds like those of you with the best prices use different providers for different services.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM

50 posts, read 122,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd980 View Post
I figured since I just went through this I'd let everyone know of another option. If you have a Twitter account, or make one, you can tweet to @TWC_Help and say something along the lines of "TWC has become too expensive and I can't afford it anymore, ready to cancel."
This definitely worked. I didn't have a twitter account, but set one up, and within an hour someone was messaging me to figure out how TWC could help. 24 hours later, I got a call to lower our bill by $25, and then when I complained some more to see how I could cut the cost even further, she told me that if I removed Starz, I would save an additional $15. The only reason I even had Starz was because it was part of the best "bundled" package I could get.

All in all, in 24 short hours, and not dealing with anyone over the phone (retention dept., etc.), I saved $40. Not too bad if you ask me, considering all the time and energy I could have wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary