Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:25 PM

498 posts, read 853,745 times

Advertisements

We have had soapstone counters and a soapstone farmhouse sink for 13 years now, with a beadboard backsplash. The lower cabinets are walnut and the uppers were sage green, but we just painted them off white last week. And for my birthday, my husband finally sanded the counters (120 grit) so now I LOVE them. The original installers had no idea what they were doing, and I think they used too high a grit on the soapstone. It never seemed quite like it was supposed to be, but now...yummm...I keep feeling them and telling my husband I love my counters ;-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM

57 posts, read 70,292 times
Have the farmhouse sink and almost finished with white oak qtr sawn cabinets. Now need soapstone counter fabricator. Raleigh suggestions?

- Phil

Old 08-29-2017, 01:03 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderHome View Post
Have the farmhouse sink and almost finished with white oak qtr sawn cabinets. Now need soapstone counter fabricator. Raleigh suggestions?

- Phil
I think City Rock in Brier Creek does Soapstone. I've seen their work in several homes with granite and it was PERFECT. I can't imagine they would do less well with soapstone.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:48 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
I can not imagine putting soapstone in my kitchen. As a kid, we had soapstone carving classes from a local Athabaskan chief and soapstone is a fairly soft stone. Easily carvable. Can I ask what draws you to putting soapstone in your kitchen?

Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
I believe that there are different types of soapstone and the stuff used for counter tops has more quartz (I think) than other types of soapstone.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:50 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I believe that there are different types of soapstone and the stuff used for counter tops has more quartz (I think) than other types of soapstone.
I wondered about this, too. And would never have soapstone for kitchen countertops unless I rarely used the kitchen. (but I admit, I'm a devoted granite fan.)

Since I was curious, I looked it up:

Quote:
ARE THERE DIFFERENT KINDS OF SOAPSTONE?

Yes, soapstone is found in basically two varieties depending on the talc content.
Artistic soapstone has high talc content, is very soft, and is used for carving and welders pencils. The fat little Inuit whales and polar bears common in gift shops are carved from soapstone.
Architectural soapstone is between 60 and 75% talc and is used for sinks, countertops, floors and other architectural elements. This is the soapstone used by Vermont Soapstone.
Recently a number of sources have been marketing a “harder†soapstone which is not soapstone at all, but serpentine, which has in the past been discarded or sold as low quality marble. It does not have the same characteristics as soapstone and we do not work with or recommend it.
Interesting reading: My Biggest Kitchen Design Mistake: Soapstone - The House of Silver Lining

Were it me and I wanted the look of soapstone (or marble), I'd be going with quartz (Silestone). It's very hard to tell the difference between that stuff and natural material. I have coffee table top made of quartz. Everybody thinks it's marble.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:27 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I can not imagine putting soapstone in my kitchen. As a kid, we had soapstone carving classes from a local Athabaskan chief and soapstone is a fairly soft stone. Easily carvable. Can I ask what draws you to putting soapstone in your kitchen?
That must be a different kind. It's also used as the countertops in high school chem labs. That's the good stuff.

I ended up going with Silestone, though.

Next house: SOAPSTONE.

Ah, here's some info. According to this, there are different grades, with the carving one the softest and grades with more quartz in them the hardest. I may be ok with something artificial that resembles it, but would love to have the real thing.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/soapstone-countertops/

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM

261 posts, read 307,011 times
We've had soapstone in our kitchen for going on 12 years now. We love it for a variety of reasons including its look, feel, non-staining, accepts any temperature with no issues and because it is rather uncommon.

It is definitely softer than granite and other counter top choices. It is more expensive than some granite, quartz and other surface materials. It will scratch, nick and "dent". There are varieties that are more resistant to scratching but IMO, all soapstone will scratch.

Knowing what you are getting and how it will react is paramount to happiness living with soapstone. Minor issues can be sanded out. Oil hides scratches. Filler can be used to deal with deeper scratches or gouges.

We are not careful with our SS. We use the kitchen and the counters show the use. We don't mind at all. Patina on the tops is something that adds character to the kitchen and the stone itself. Do your homework on the stone, get a sample and put it through the paces of your kitchen use and decide if it is for you or not.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:42 PM

326 posts, read 384,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
We've had soapstone in our kitchen for going on 12 years now. We love it for a variety of reasons including its look, feel, non-staining, accepts any temperature with no issues and because it is rather uncommon.

It is definitely softer than granite and other counter top choices. It is more expensive than some granite, quartz and other surface materials. It will scratch, nick and "dent". There are varieties that are more resistant to scratching but IMO, all soapstone will scratch.

Knowing what you are getting and how it will react is paramount to happiness living with soapstone. Minor issues can be sanded out. Oil hides scratches. Filler can be used to deal with deeper scratches or gouges.

We are not careful with our SS. We use the kitchen and the counters show the use. We don't mind at all. Patina on the tops is something that adds character to the kitchen and the stone itself. Do your homework on the stone, get a sample and put it through the paces of your kitchen use and decide if it is for you or not.
Fantastic advice. If you know what you're getting into with soapstone and you view the accumulated marks it gathers over time as badges of honor, you won't be disappointed. If, however, you expect it to always look pristine and new, you will be heartbroken.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post

Great advice, thanks. I'm not into shiny granite and am not really crazy about the Silestone I ended up choosing, though it's nice enough, I guess. I would appreciate the patina as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary