Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM

164 posts, read 287,178 times

Advertisements

We still have yet to find a real estate agent (I keep putting off and dreading the hunt for one) but we have been looking on our own, and have seen a few non-HOA homes on the less expensive end of things, and they do seem to be mostly older. Sounds like that is a plus in your book, so I hope you find what you are looking for!

We are hoping for newer construction without an HOA as well, under $450k. At first glance, it seems to be hard to find. (And probably why we need to get on finding an agent) We sold our new construction house in a cookie cutter neighborhood back in Seattle, and I would be hard pressed to go back into an HOA. It just takes that one neighbor on a power trip and lack of a hobby to ruin it for the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
HOAs are pretty much the rule in subdivisions of more than 20 homes, platted after 1995.
There must be an entity or individual responsible for maintenance of any common area.

So, maybe smaller neighborhoods, or neighborhoods with less than 20 homes, or a home that is not in a subdivision neighborhood, or a scraper lot with new construction, if one wants newer and no HOA. Infill construction is a possibility, but making the economics work on a half acre lot is tough.
Getting that half acre or more, newer construction, less than $200,000 and no HOA means going rural.
Under $450,000 means scraping and building, or infill, or accepting that neighbors may have different standards regarding property appearance. One of the benefits of not tolerating an HOA is the freedom to "express" one's personality more visually at home.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I am neither a lawyer or an attorney so I suggest you seek professional counsel to ensure you have correct info. That being said - as an anonymous internet poster I would point people to North Caroline State Statutes that address the requirement for HOAs.

Chapter 47F

Based on my unprofessional interpretation of state law: HOAs are required in any planned community in North Carolina created on or after January 1, 1999 that has more than 20 lots.

Again, I'd get a second opinion from somebody who is paid to know this stuff.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
And let's not forget that just because there isn't an HOA, you still have the rules and laws of the county and the state! They are called LAWS instead of covenants! There will always be some things you just can't do not matter how much you want your individuality!

Vicki (wink wink)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
And let's not forget that just because there isn't an HOA, you still have the rules and laws of the county and the state! They are called LAWS instead of covenants! There will always be some things you just can't do not matter how much you want your individuality!

Vicki (wink wink)
Exactly, which is why we've never really felt the need for an HOA. Cary is pretty good about enforcing it's existing laws (even the ones I think are totally stupid, like the "no string lights" ordinance!)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Based on my unprofessional interpretation of state law: HOAs are required in any planned community in North Carolina created on or after January 1, 1999 that has more than 20 lots.

That's probably why my house (built in 2000) is in a subdivision with only 17 other houses

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Older homes w/o a HOA should be no problem. We have never lived in a HOA, either, and have a very nice neighborhood. I don't mind cars parked in the front yard (not that that's really an issue in my neighborhood, but I can't imagine many scenarios where it would be for me). I also enjoy all the different ways people do their yards and houses.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Exactly, which is why we've never really felt the need for an HOA. Cary is pretty good about enforcing it's existing laws (even the ones I think are totally stupid, like the "no string lights" ordinance!)
But, Cary does not enforce covenants.
Irongate, for example, had interesting covenants which expired in 1994, unless they were extended:
http://services.wakegov.com/booksweb...ate=06/24/1969

Most subdivisions without HOA's have covenants, with "enforcement by proceedings at law or in equity against any person or person violating or attempting to violate any covenant."
I.e., your neighbor may get a legitimate permit to build a home that has vinyl siding, although the covenants disallow such. Town approves, and there is no HOA, so no neighborhood architectural review.

How to "fix" it without any HOA?
Sue 'em, to enforce the covenants.

I've never had an HOA, and never owned an NC house without appurtenant deed covenants.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think it really does depend on the HOA. Most a pretty laid back and reasonable.

Safest thing to do (HOA or not) is to look around each neighborhood. Several times. Night. Day. Weekdays. Weekends.

If what you see looks agreeable? Go for it.

Just don't move to a neighborhood with matching mailboxes and cars in garages/driveways and expect to rip up your mailbox and replace it with one that expresses your personality... While parking all your cars on the front lawn.

Do that in the neighborhoods where you already see that sort of thing.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
For me personally, I don't care how laid back and reasonable they are, the POTENTIAL to not be laid back and reasonable is always there. I will never, ever, ever live in an HOA.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-29-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary