Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,959 times

Advertisements

hah yeah I definitely would not plant bamboo directly into the ground. If it could be grown in containers though it might work as a quick screen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
I'm not sure how much space you are working with, but if possible I would try to plant a mixture of evergreen type plants. All too often using the "soldiers in a row" approach with one sort of plant invites diseases to simply spread from one plant to the next when they are all the same and susceptible to the same disease.

I'm not a fan of leyland cypress unless you are talking about a large acreage property. Those plants can get very WIDE. It will take a few years, but I love my tea olive plants.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,959 times
I agree if I go the bush route I'll be planting a couple different kinds. Unfortunately it's not a ton of space so something that is tall and thin will probably work better than something that gets big and fat.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm not sure how much space you are working with, but if possible I would try to plant a mixture of evergreen type plants. All too often using the "soldiers in a row" approach with one sort of plant invites diseases to simply spread from one plant to the next when they are all the same and susceptible to the same disease.

I'm not a fan of leyland cypress unless you are talking about a large acreage property. Those plants can get very WIDE. It will take a few years, but I love my tea olive plants.
I'm planning a tea olive screen. We already have a couple in large pots, ready to be planted once they're a little larger. We figure we should only need about 3. No hurry. Our neighbors are cool. We just love tea olives.

We will be planting Arborvitae along the back of our property, though. We would like a year-roud screen that'll reach the 2nd floor windows, height-wise.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,063,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I agree if I go the bush route I'll be planting a couple different kinds. Unfortunately it's not a ton of space so something that is tall and thin will probably work better than something that gets big and fat.
Thin, tall, evergreen gets tricky.

Have you thought about a wood fence with an evergreen climber/vine? This way you get instant blockage of your neighbors and it gets prettier as the vines grow. Certainly meets the "thin" requirement too.

Sample climber:

Vines: Kadsura japonica

Frank

Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
We did Leyland Cyprus to block our annoying neighbors. Worked like a charm. They grow FAST and they are evergreen. I have heard they are prone to disease but we've not had a problem in the 8 years we've had them. They're probably 15 feet now.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,864,325 times
Great advise regarding both Tea Olive and Chindo Viburnum.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,181,849 times
I was going to recommend Elaeagnus, too. I planted some along our property line (well inside it since it gets wide) but it grows quickly, is evergreen and tolerates shade. We actually have it planted in the woodline between the houses. I plan to get more and allow them to grow into thick hedges in both side yards. I bought ours at Adcock's nursery in Fuquay. I know Campbell Rd Nursery had some, but I imagine most do carry it.

Ebbengei Elaeagnus Shrub, CHOATE USA

Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM

423 posts, read 1,093,215 times
We love our cryptomeria. They took off the last few years and have more than doubled in size since we planted them four years ago at 6ft tall. Trees: Cryptomeria japonica I would be careful of leylands. I believe they die quite easily and then you will have a big hole in the hedge and will have a hard time buying another that can catch up to the rest of the hedge.

We have tea olives and nelly stevens hollies around our deck. They grow much slower than cryptomeria.

Last edited by mocharoman; 07-30-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
I was going to recommend Elaeagnus, too.
I planted some Elaeagnus in our yard in north Raleigh on the recommendation of a landscape designer and I absolutely HATED it. It grew uncontrollably and required constant heavy pruning. I do not want plants that create that much yard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary