Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 30,336 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving up there from Miami, Florida for grad school. He's been accepted to Duke and UNC for an Economics program and I've been accepted to Duke and NC State for a Civil Engineering program. We both plan on working in either Raleigh or Greensboro in our fields (or anything closely related).

We definitely want to buy a place of our own, no renting. We've looked into Apex, Wake Forest, Durham, and Cary and we really like them all. What's it like there? Are people kind to each other? I doubt they'd have too much crime going on in towns like those. Are their taxes affordable? Also, are any of these places strict on building codes? My current town, in the outskirts of Miami, won't allow anyone to have a fence in the front part of our properties, just in the back.

Are grocery stores, and shopping centers far away from residential areas? Are there any farmers markets or Whole Foods style shops? We're also very outdoorsy so we would like to be able to go out for walks, bike rides, and perhaps camping from time to time. We love towns that are family oriented as well; do any of these places organize holiday events, like a Christmas show, Halloween party or Fourth of July barbecue?

Are there any other towns close to our schools and to the city? Keep in mind that we are not very interested in living in the heart of raleigh, we'd prefer to be in a smaller town outside of the city, yet close enough to keep from making long commutes to work. Will a commute from Apex, for example, to Greensboro be too far, or should we just stick to working in Raleigh? We've both grown up in the hustle and bustle of Miami which is full of homeless people, road rage, and overall mean people. This is something we're trying to get away from.

Something else that always scares me are natural disasters. Do any of them happen up there? I know that the hurricanes that usually hit us in Miami sometimes make it up to North Carolina, but do you also get hit by earthquakes, floods, wildfires, or Tornadoes? If so, are they strong, or are they on the lighter end?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just want to make sure we make the right choice when picking a town there. Thank you all in advance for your input and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:48 PM

49 posts, read 89,874 times
Wait, are you saying that both of you have been accepted to joint programs for these two combinations of schools or are you still deciding which to attend? That is not clear to me, and has huge implications for the answer.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,284,905 times
You need to live near the airport. Best compromise for the schools you are attending.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,609,856 times
Yep - if he goes to UNC and you go to state, you need to live in Morrisville! If one of you goes to Duke and one to UNC, well, you'll develop a major basketball rivalry, and would be very happy in Durham on the Chapel Hill side, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough. All have farmer's markets, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's. Rent, because if you end up working in Raleigh or Greensboro you'll want to move.

It definitely all depends on where you decide to go. For example, I live in Durham near Chapel Hill, and it takes me 45 minutes to get to downtown Raleigh. Part of that is the 15 minutes it takes me to get to I-40 (grr).

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times
It would help to know what schools you both decide to attend. Also, are you saying you will be going to grad school and working at the same time, or are your mentions of work for after you graduate?

There are lots of great places to live in the triangle, and yes we have great farmers markets and whole foods grocery stores. I think you may need to narrow things down on where exactly you will e going to school and where your jobs may be before you can effectively narrow down places to live.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM

He was accepted to the economics program at Duke, as well as a different Economics program at UNC. I was accepted at NC state's Structural engineering program under the civil engineering discipline, as well as a different program in the broad civil engineering field at Duke.

All four are different programs at the different schools, not joint. We have yet to decide on which program we'll actually accept. We do have our minds made up to choose one of those schools in North Carolina and to move to that area (we were accepted to other schools in different states too).

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM

I'm gearing more toward NC State and he likes Duke, but like I mentioned before, we haven't made an official decision yet.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
there is nowhere to live where Raleigh & Greensboro are mutually commutable in any enjoyable fashion.

It is a bit confusing if you're both in JOINT programs between Duke/UNC for him and State/Duke for you, or whether you've each been accepted in 2 different schools.

If you're moving here from MIA, and with no triangle or NC connections, my suggestion (if applicable) would be NC State Engineering for you, and Duke Econ for him.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM

well, while I slowly typed that response, looks like we're in agreement

Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 PM

you basically have a 1 in 20 year chance of a tornado.

you have a 1 in 6 chance of being affected (rains & wind & low-level flooding) by a hurricane. 1 in 50 of it veering far enough inland to be a coastal-effect event

we don't have other natural disasters in the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary