Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM

371 posts, read 526,574 times

Advertisements

I am a college-educated man in his low 30s and I an thinking of moving to Chapel Hill. I would like to in an LTR versus just going on dates and they don't go anywhere. Well they do, but never as far as I would like which is past the physical relationship. I have realized that a lot of people in NYC are anti-social and I will be single for the rest of my life if I continue living here. Most people are here for their career as am I, but I don't want only a career anymore.

I have a job in NYC, but there is a chance that I could end up in Baltimore. I don't know if I want to go there. I will have a college football/basketball allegiance as I am going to start attending UNC's online MBA program which is top notch. I am hoping career services can help me find a job in Chapel Hill/Raleigh area.

I am originally from the Northeast (not NYC) and have talked about getting out of NYC for a while. I don't want to be the only single person in the area in my age range though.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
You wouldn't be the only single person, but do you realize the population of Chapel Hill? It would be quite the culture shock coming from NYC.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You wouldn't be the only single person, but do you realize the population of Chapel Hill? It would be quite the culture shock coming from NYC.
I am not originally from NYC. I grew up in a town of 10,000 people. It won't be the greatest culture shock ever.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
The graduate school and young professional population around here (Chapel Hill) will soon be more than the undergraduate population. Believe me there will be plenty of prospects here in your age range.

But there is a huge difference between Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Entirely different vibe, social scene, everything.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:00 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
The single scene is s much better for men than it is for women in the Triangle, I will say that.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 AM

15 posts, read 32,337 times
To be short and simple; there isn't one.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowles-Carter View Post
Is this jay-z or beyonce? Why are you such a Debbie downer?

Do you have to be heavily into the bar scene to fit the social scene in chapel hill?

I assume there are some meetup groups.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowles-Carter View Post
Don't listen to this guy. There are tons of singles in this area. A lot of people (myself included) use meetup groups and sites like okcupid and are doing just fine.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 PM

513 posts, read 695,705 times
I think people can make the single scene work anywhere, but I think you would be hard pressed to find someone say Chapel Hill is a better single scene than NYC. I'm not sure how you can say NYC is antisocial. I've only visited NYC a few times, but the city seems to be alive at all hours

Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
I think people can make the single scene work anywhere, but I think you would be hard pressed to find someone say Chapel Hill is a better single scene than NYC. I'm not sure how you can say NYC is antisocial. I've only visited NYC a few times, but the city seems to be alive at all hours
People are in their own world in NYC and the ones out of their own world enough to approach or be approachable (outside a typical venue like a club or bar) are often crazy. You're less likely to meet the love of your life at the grocery store in NY. At least that's my impression in my times there. Ealrier I commented that is easier for men. Expounding onthat there seems to be way more eligible prime women bachelorettes in the Triangle (and NC at large outside of military towns) than bachelors. Men have the pick of the litter more or less, while women conversely find it harder to date. The one caution is that women are less liley to date around so it's important to make intentions clear or else women, the 30's and under at least, are apt to start picking out baby names by the third date. It's not all gloom and doom for fermales though. Notnearly as bad as DcMdVa, or Atlanta. But men are definitely at a distinct advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary