Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 03:12 PM

69 posts, read 215,021 times

Advertisements

I will be driving to Durham in the middle of August, and would like suggestions for the best route, going through Louisville...starting in Chicago
Funny, at one time, I was a Triple A member, and they would actually make up a detailed route book for you, with construction warnings, mile by mile maps, etc. I do not think they provide that service, but am no longer a member, so thought I would ask on here

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 PM

108 posts, read 151,890 times
I am from Raleigh and went to undergrad at the University of Chicago. We used to drive across the mountains on I-40 to Knoxville, then go through Lexington, Louisville and Indianapolis.

Interestingly, that's not even in the top 3 routes that Google gives - they all go through Ohio. I think my mom thought we were avoiding more urban traffic problems with the way we chose. But it's been ages ...

Old 08-02-2013, 04:18 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,557 times
Hi, chicagomom2,

I make the drive back and forth between Chicago and the Triangle on a semi-regular basis, and for what it's worth, I find that, as crewstopia says, the fastest route these days does not, in fact, go through Louisville (nor Knoxville), but consists of taking 65 south to Indianapolis, then I-70 east to Dayton, then a short distance south on Interstate 75 in Dayton, then U.S. Highway 35 southeast across southern Ohio and into West Virginia to Charleston, then I-77 south through West Virginia and Virginia to Mount Airy, NC, then U.S. Highway 52 to Winston-Salem, then I-40 east to Durham, Raleigh, or wherever. Of course, if you specifically need or want to go through Louisville, then you'd simply stay on 65 through Indy to Louisville, and then from there take I-64 east to Charleston, WV. I've taken that route, too, and it consistently takes a little longer than the aforementioned one, but not a huge difference. And actually, this summer they've been working on a road construction project on Interstate 70 east of Indianapolis which has caused some slowdowns at times, and perhaps narrowed the gap between that route and the route through Louisville (or the one through Cincinnati). In any case, be aware of three unavoidable toll plazas on I-77 in West Virginia between Charleston and the Virginia line (the total one-way toll is currently $6, I believe, but you can use your Quick Pass/EZ Pass transponder thing to pay it). Also, watch out for windy, rainy, or foggy conditions at times along the sections of I-77 in West Virginia and Virginia. Other than that, it's an easy buy kind of boring drive.

Have fun, travel safely, and good luck!

Last edited by tompope; 08-02-2013 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 04:18 PM

612 posts, read 1,280,280 times
ahh, the good old TripTik. There's an app for that now, and all 2k people that have actually downloaded it seem moderately happy with it

I know it's going to show as the longer way, but I like to the 80/90 to 77 when I drive back home from Detroit. Sure there are a couple of small tolls, but it's easy smooth sailing and there aren't any stops.

Anyway, people that have actually driven to/from the Windy City might have better advice, but I had to comment on the AAA TripTik. That takes me back to simpler times

Old 08-02-2013, 05:00 PM

69 posts, read 215,021 times
Thanks! You guys are the best! I really appreciate all the info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary