Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,194 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Cary,NY and I am wondering how it compares to a town in Rochester ,NY.

Has anyone moved from here and can give me a general idea what town it resembles (if any) such as Webster,Greece,Chili,Victor, etc.?
I am looking for a mix of residential and good close shopping within a few miles.(malls,groceries,large chains)

I will be spending time there in a few months to get a more accurate idea, but this still doesn't come close to someone who has lived here and has been there for a while.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 PM

119 posts, read 394,246 times
Just wait to see how many replies to this you will get! We moved from Rochester (East Irondequoit) to Durham, NC 3 years ago and have never looked back. We were never considering Cary so I can't speak for it as well as people that live there but in my time spent there shopping it seems to compare mostly in looks to maybe Victor? Many people love it for it's family friendliness and great parks and residential areas.
We loved Rochester for many reasons but the triangle area (Raliegh, Durham, Chapel Hill and the surrounding area) is so great for outdoor activities, kids and families, it's climate and daytrip abilities to the mountains and beaches here.

Good luck with your trip & decision! Feel free to PM me!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:10 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
We moved from Greece to N. Raleigh in 1994, then to Cary in 1998, South Raleigh in 2001, and Apex in 2005.....then back to Greece in 2007.

Cary is basically taking the physical size and population numbers of Greece, with the demographics of Pittsford/Penfield/Webster. Cary is a mostly upper-middle class suburban town that is very large geographically. It is a mix of young families and retirees for the most part. There are many rec-sports leagues and a lot of parks.

We moved back to Rochester mostly for family reasons but also because of the school situation down there for our youngest son... dealing with Wake County schools had just become very stressful. The Triangle is a lovely area but has a real lack of "community" IMO. Rochester has more of a "hometown" feel whereas the Triangle is very new and sorry, sterile. Some find that newness refreshing which is understandable, but after a while it just wasn't our cup of tea. We did enjoy our 13 years down there though!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,978 times
Yeah, Rochester and its northern burbs has blood in its veins and the Triangle kind of doesn't. Durham comes close but you wouldn't like it.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 AM

46 posts, read 99,152 times
I'm from Upstate NY and went to undergrad at Buffalo, so I've been to Rochester a few times with roommates and everything. My roommate lived in Henrietta and another from Victor.

Cary is the exact opposite of Rochester in many ways, including weather, crime rate, population demographics, and more.

If you asked me a few years ago, I would of gave an enthusiastic YES on your move to Cary. I found the people nicer, the overall cost of living (houses are getting very expensive though, comparable to NY) lower, and stuff to do.

You'll definately have access to shopping, sprawling mini-malls, restaurants, and the like. You'll have access to large houses and nice landscaping and everything else that comes with a post 1990 suburbia.

But frankly, I find that stuff incredibly boring. I have found that the community goes to work, goes shopping, and comes home. There's no character, or pride in the community, and it's just very bland.

I guess it comes down to what you want in a certain phase of your life. If you want to work and go home, by all means you'll be fine. I just don't tend to reccommend Cary to childless, 20-30ish people because I know they will complain of being bored due to no art, music, and general culture.

But I live in Durham and want to go back up to the northeast, so what do I know

Old 08-05-2013, 04:33 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
[quote=Loque;30822057]bored due to no art, music, and general culture.

[quote]

This. This. A million times this.

I'm starting to have reverse grass is greener syndrome. I think what I left wasn't so bad after all. At least it had a heart. VERY sterile here.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:01 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
I absolutely loved the Rochester area while I was in school at RIT. Totally different vibe here as compared to there. Not bad, just different. It feels a bit more congested in the 'burbs around here and most of the communities that have sprung up, while nice, don't have the established feel of say, Pittsford and Fairport. I mention Fairport on purpose since it frequently ends up in the top 100 places to live. Being that you're coming down in a few months you'll get to enjoy the fall weather down here. Fall and spring last a long time in these parts. Plus, no white outs from lake effect snow in the winter! We'll have a Publix soon too...probably the closest thing to Wegmans (Based on the limited research I've done on Publix).

Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 AM

119 posts, read 394,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Yeah, Rochester and its northern burbs has blood in its veins and the Triangle kind of doesn't. Durham comes close but you wouldn't like it.
You're right Durham comes close..so why wouldn't the OP like Durham?? We moved from Rochester and purposefully picked Durham because it wasn't so sterile and shopping complex filled as compared to Raleigh and surrounding areas. Rochester is great but the weather, family friendliness, and atmosphere here is SO much better in our opinion.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 AM

159 posts, read 287,149 times
I would have to say Brighton/Pittsford area like along Monroe Ave./Rte 31, in between 490 and pittsford village in particular.

I went back up there for a funeral last month, first time in six years. My thoughts were that it's no longer the place I grew up in for no real particular reason, just overall feel.

I miss the people I left, some of the restaurants and not much else to be honest.

I agree with other poster, if you're young and without kids you want to be in Raleigh proper. Otherwise everyone is working for the weekend as that old song went. We work, go home and repeat during the week and venture out on the weekends. Where I live half the town disappears to their beachhouses on the weekends.

My advice then, is to rent until you find your niche. We bought and somewhat regret it.

My $.02, your mileage my vary.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotchester View Post
I am thinking about moving to Cary,NY and I am wondering how it compares to a town in Rochester ,NY.

Has anyone moved from here and can give me a general idea what town it resembles (if any) such as Webster,Greece,Chili,Victor, etc.?
I am looking for a mix of residential and good close shopping within a few miles.(malls,groceries,large chains)

Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary