Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:50 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Sometimes a person needs to get somewhere on a bike, or they just want to do a "real" ride. I stay off the roads more and more often due to people like you, with the attitude that their rights trump others. But the fact is that unless it's a limited access highway, then bikes have a right to be on the road, and actually enjoy right of way over cars. (and don't even start with the comments about the A-holes who take up the whole lane. That's not me, and I don't agree with people that do it, except in short, limited instances for safety. But there's many more A-hole drivers than bikers, so deal with the A-holes, and don't hate on people who use different transportation (or recreation, or excercise) than you....)

But you're welcome. I'd MUCH rather ride my bike in the woods, and get away from it all, and only have to worry about my own skills, rather than some self-entitled driver in a car 10x my weight. If not the woods, then a greenway, and if not that, than some country road where I can relax and get some peace.

(and I hate I replied to this.... Shoulda let it go)
Both of your thoughts well taken......I humbly request everyone to not make this car vs bike discussion......

I have decided to take the ATT with some friends, just for safety....read some stories about robbery on ATT.....Just want to thank the cities/towns for building awesome greenways....we need more....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Both of your thoughts well taken......I humbly request everyone to not make this car vs bike discussion......

I have decided to take the ATT with some friends, just for safety....read some stories about robbery on ATT.....Just want to thank the cities/towns for building awesome greenways....we need more....
Indeed it's awesome around here, and only getting better.

I'm riding my bike home from work today (ATT/Greenway Route), which makes me happy. It's a 12 mile drive, but I'm hoping it will be about 20-25 via the trails. If it goes well, I may do it more often.

(and totally support your humble request. Hope we can keep talking about greenway and ATT rides though, the opportunities are plenty, and fun!)

Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM

449 posts, read 699,997 times
Sort of OT: Do any of you cyclists ever ride with your dog along side? Is it okay to do, or discouraged?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
Sort of OT: Do any of you cyclists ever ride with your dog along side? Is it okay to do, or discouraged?
I've seen this done a few times on the greenway, but I'm not a fan. The paved trail is only 10' wide and it is easy for a bike with a dog on a leash to take up a large part of the trail making them sort of an obstacle.

I Love the Neuse Greenway. I plan on exploring the lower portion of it this weekend.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 AM

449 posts, read 699,997 times
Gotcha. A greenway would be too narrow.

I'm a newbie with the dog ;-)

A velo-meetup would be interesting!

Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 AM

97 posts, read 190,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Anyone up for a CD "velo-social"? Slow, steady pace, 12 mph rolling, nobody gets left behind, but be capable of riding 60-70 miles over the course of the day.
Sign me up if brewpub stops are on the agenda!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 View Post
Sign me up if brewpub stops are on the agenda!
How else would we rehydrate? You're "signed up". :-)

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
enjoyed my 25 mile bike ride on ATT, started from the access on Fayettiville rd and went south till the trial head ....the interesting part was the southern strip close to the trial head some marshy wet land on your left if you are heading south...it was pretty cool! There is one water fountain near 8-8.5 mile marker i think and it was a life saver, i ran out of water!

Have anyone been on this trial ?

Ebenezer/old Creedmore - Bikemap - Your bike routes online

Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM

Looks like the part south of 70 (Glennwood) is Ebenezer Church Road. I've ridden that, it's nice, but that is DEFINITELY not a trail. That is road riding. Looks like the rest of it is too. The day I did it, was a weekday during business hours. It was part of a bigger loop from Cary to RTP, and back. The part near the busy roads, I would not do again. (maybe at 6AM on a weekend, but not during working hours).

The part of the ATT you road is really nice. you can connect it with lots of greenways and bikeways around the White Oak / Green Level area. NICE! Glad you had a great ride!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,499 times
Default Greenway resources

Great discussion on cycling the greenways. Here are a few more resources about the greenways-

This is a news story that ran on Wral on June 1st, 2013 re the greenways-

Wake County rich in greenway trails :: WRAL.com

Here is the droid/mac app for the triangle greenways-

RGreenway | Creating America's Smartest Park

Here is a great map of the greenways-

http://goo.gl/maps/nrc1i

Here are some greenway centric rides-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...YQzBvZEE#gid=3

Cheers,

Tim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary