Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 AM

119 posts, read 207,030 times

Advertisements

Our school is converting next year to Multi Track (from all track 4 this year) and I was wondering how some of the logistics work-- do the "specials" teachers-- gym, art etc work more than one track? I assume every track needs these teachers present when they are in session. Does the school still need a classroom for every class even whenthey are not in session or do they some how rotate through the rooms too? Are there classes on each track in each grade? or might all of first grade be track 1, all of 2nd grade track 2 etc? My son is graduating from elementary this year and going on to middle school so we won't experience any of this (unles Mills Park Middle becomes multi track too!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times
I'm sure parents with kids in the system will chime in and answer most of your questions but here's a nice little overview:

Cary Magazine | Features | The Ins and Out of Year-Round Schools

And if you search city-data for "year round schools wake county" you'll find lots of different threads with good little tidbits here and there. The last post on this thread addresses the art teacher aspect (one parent's experience):
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...d-schools.html

Here are the results from my google search:
how does year round school work in wake county site:www.city-data.com - Google Search

Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My sister teaches in a YR school and while some may work slightly differently than others, the specials teachers work year round.

The teachers share classrooms, so when my sister tracks out, someone else comes into her classroom. That's how they save space. She has a place to put her stuff while she's tracked out. It was hard, I think, at first, because teachers tend to accumulate a lot of stuff, but now she's happy not to have so much stuff that she doesn't really need, or want, or it's out of date or whatever.

They would not move you from track to track as you move up grades - imagine the chaos that would ensue for families that have a 1st, 3rd and 5th grader?!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM

219 posts, read 483,842 times
I can only answer based on my son's experience the past few years at his school - YMMV.

I was wondering how some of the logistics work-- do the "specials" teachers-- gym, art etc work more than one track? I assume every track needs these teachers present when they are in session.

At our school, yes, the specials teachers work year-round.

Does the school still need a classroom for every class even whenthey are not in session or do they some how rotate through the rooms too?

At my son's school, they do not rotate classrooms since tracks overlap -- ie, for the first time ever this year, at the request of the parents, we have a few weeks each year when ALL tracks are in. I know, it sounds like it defeats the purpose. But it helps with scheduling a few schoolwide events so everyone is 'tracked in.' Hell hath no fury like a parent whose child was tracked out when something fun went on.

Are there classes on each track in each grade? or might all of first grade be track 1, all of 2nd grade track 2 etc?

At our school there are at least 2 classes, and usually more, per track and per grade. I'm pretty sure you'd never see grades being assigned tracks.

Now, if you have multiple kids, you can sometimes run into quandaries when the kids aren't on the same schedule, such as one in a traditional school and one in a year-round school. That's why track 4 is so popular, it most closely mimics a traditional schedule.

HTHs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catmom View Post
Our school is converting next year to Multi Track (from all track 4 this year) and I was wondering how some of the logistics work-- do the "specials" teachers-- gym, art etc work more than one track? I assume every track needs these teachers present when they are in session. Does the school still need a classroom for every class even whenthey are not in session or do they some how rotate through the rooms too? Are there classes on each track in each grade? or might all of first grade be track 1, all of 2nd grade track 2 etc? My son is graduating from elementary this year and going on to middle school so we won't experience any of this (unles Mills Park Middle becomes multi track too!!)

Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 PM

23 posts, read 32,042 times
3catmom,I have a 5th grader in the same school. I also have two 3rd graders. I was wondering if we'd have a choice for tracks. I'd love Mills Park to become multitrack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary