Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know whether the King Chinese buffet way out Geer Road in Durham, near the Walmart, is tolerable good?

Or anything like that that's better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 PM

30 posts, read 52,313 times
Go there for lunch a couple of times a month. Not the biggest selection around, but what they serve is OK.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Reviews on Yelp are not very good.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Does anyone know whether the King Chinese buffet way out Geer Road in Durham, near the Walmart, is tolerable good?

Or anything like that that's better?
Why... for the love of god, why a Chinese buffet?

Shudderin' at the thoughts. And the generally downscale nature of the retail in that sprawlplex would give me little hope of quality.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
The only tolerable Chinese buffet in Durham is Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet - Durham, NC

And that aint saying much....

Old 08-10-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Why... for the love of god, why a Chinese buffet?

Shudderin' at the thoughts.
Oh, it's junk food for sure. But there are good ones. Just, apparently not down here (ahem).

What gives me the creeps is the made-to-be-photographed little snack sculptures that expensive places serve and reviewers call quality food. What a useless, silly, pretentious, laughable bunch of - - - -.

All of that stuff serves no purpose except to illustrate that having money does not mean having judgment.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
If your aim is quantity, then yes, those little "snack sculptures" may not meet your needs. Just like someone who places an emphasis on quality of meat or freshness of veggies, or usage of spices may not find a Chinese buffet all that appealing.

Different people like different things, not sure why you get defensive against "people with money" lacking judgment when, in reality, everyone likes different things, that's what's so great about having a variety to choose from.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:04 AM

" The only tolerable Chinese buffet in Durham is Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet - Durham, NC "

As it happens, my errands brought me by there Saturday. I stopped in. It was okay. I don't myself see going back.

'not sure why you get defensive against 'people with money'..."

Oh, now, that's just snotty.

Would anyone like to let me in on what you consider good Chinese here? And I don't mean little snack sculptures made with ingredients that are so self-consciously obscure that they can't be satirized?

Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Quote:
" The only tolerable Chinese buffet in Durham is Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet - Durham, NC "

As it happens, my errands brought me by there Saturday. I stopped in. It was okay. I don't myself see going back.
The rest of my post said "and that aint saying much" Meaning it may be the best one I've experienced in Durham, but even that place isnt great. At least they have sushi. I am not a huge fan, but I like to try different kinds without having to spend a bunch of money at a sushi place....

I had some Chinese up in Jersey last week. So far and beyond what you can get here....it isnt just the pizza and bread.... I wonder why??

I like Hong Kong on Guess Rd for take out. What I find here in NC is one place will have a couple great dishes and the rest is not.. You have to experiment to find what is good at each restaurant. I have yet to find a great overall Chinese place. Pao Lim on the Boulevard was very good but that closed. The new place there isnt the same at all. Oh well. I dont eat out that much to put all the energy into finding a great place. Rather just go to an Indian place and KNOW I am going to love it....

Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:

'not sure why you get defensive against 'people with money'..."

Oh, now, that's just snotty.

Would anyone like to let me in on what you consider good Chinese here? And I don't mean little snack sculptures made with ingredients that are so self-consciously obscure that they can't be satirized?
Hey you said it. And furthermore, "self consciously obscure" - would love to know what this means so that we may better answer your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary