Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
michgc, have you been to Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro? We went last night and I really enjoyed the Kung Pao Lotus Root I had. I was a little iffy on the Sizzling Rice Cake w/ Shrimp (and fish). We almost got the Fried Stinky Tofu, but I think it came with the 1000 year egg and the waitress cautioned us that most Americans don't like that. I didn't really want the 1000 yr Egg, but did want to try the Stinky Tofu. Ah, well, maybe next time.
No, but thanks for the rec. We'll try that one next. We have tried 4 places so far and have not been thrilled with any of them. I know we'll hit the right one sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I think they have a Chinese menu as well, but that's a little too much for me. Reportedly it's one of the best places around, but I'm not a Chinese food foodie so couldn't really say.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Yet, ironically enough, there are no good Chinese restaurants.
Red Dragon in Raleigh.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Red Dragon in Raleigh.
Red Dragon is very good. I walk through that big wide door in the rear at least once a week to pick up a bag of takeout.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmquiroz View Post
I came from Michigan to Ga, and I can probably undrstand that 'something about it just doesn't feel right" feeling you have. Ive been in Georgia for 4 years now and we can't wait to get out. I can list a slew of great things about Georgia but the list of not so great list for us would be alot longer.

The differnce I notice from Georgia to North Carolina, even though both conservative and in the South...is the over all vibe of the people and the nature of how things get done between the two states. Many of teh relocators in both states vary also. Mostly due to the job bracet availible in both zones.
[/b]
Atlanta truly has a big-city mentality if you're accustomed to that. This is what distinguishes North Georgia from any other area of the SouthEast.

North Carolina offers a more "small-town" mentality and lifestyle in all of its cities ranging in size from 90 to 900,000 (population).

Georgia is a very primitive state when it comes to proactive government, planning for the future, highways, preventing corruption in government, etc. Georgia's DOT hasn't really built any new roads in the last 30 years. I don't think Georgia has ever in its history even contemplated looking at how other states do things and learn from them. Blacks and whites co-exist but that's about it. The Republican-dominated government is anti-everything except guns, and the 20% of the state that lives in poverty does little to try to help itself. Section 8 vouchers, 50,000 showing up for free holiday dinners every year, etc. is a way of life for many here in Atlanta.

North Carolina has a rich history of very intelligent minds looking after its people and planning for the future. Still though, with all of NC's growth, you cannot escape the small-town feel or mentality all across the state. The state is always constructing literally hundreds and hundreds of miles of new highways in attempts to bring economic prosperity to all its counties which are mostly rural in nature. NC has the 2nd highest rural population behind Pennsylvania.

These are the differences between the two states as I see them.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,557 times
A
Quote:
Quote:
michgc, have you been to Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro? We went last night and I really enjoyed the Kung Pao Lotus Root I had. I was a little iffy on the Sizzling Rice Cake w/ Shrimp (and fish). We almost got the Fried Stinky Tofu, but I think it came with the 1000 year egg and the waitress cautioned us that most Americans don't like that. I didn't really want the 1000 yr Egg, but did want to try the Stinky Tofu. Ah, well, maybe next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Red Dragon in Raleigh.
Yeah, there are some decent Chinese restaurants around here. My personal favorites of the ones I've been to are definitely Gourmet Kingdom, Red Dragon, and a place out on Morrisville-Carpenter Road in Morrisville or Cary that I can't remember the name of and don't have time to look up. And then there's the little restaurant inside of the Grand Asia Market in Cary, which is always a fun experience. But I do agree that I wish there were more good choices, and it surprises me that there aren't, considering the influx of affluent population in recent decades, and in particular the Asian and Asian-American population. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the many strip mall Sino-American fast food places, too, and I enjoy my fried rice and egg rolls as much as anyone. But it would be nice if the area had some more "real" Chinese food options beyond those mentioned above, as one finds in California and in bigger cities in other parts of the country. I would think this area could support more of those kinds of dining options these days, and probably they'll eventually show up here, but for now the selection isn't great. I do also adore Five Star in Downtown Raleigh, but that's sort of in a different category. Likewise, I also enjoy the Neo-China/Neo-Asia places (even though I know a lot of people don't), but again, they're in kind of a different category as well. And actually even the hole-in-the-wall strip mall places vary a little more than you might think, and some are pretty good and surprisingly nuanced, especially if you're able to talk with one of the cooks a little and order from the far reaches of the menu or off the menu entirely. But it still would be nice if there was more regional Chinese cuisine available and more overall variety and quality. I'm not really a foodie and certainly not an expert on Chinese food or anything like that. But I would appreciate and support some better diversity in local Chinese restaurants, and I know I'm not alone.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
That fact alone might convince me to move back to the northern California area.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM

This is getting pretty far afield from the topic of this thread, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who ventures to Gourmet Kingdom. It's pretty widely recommended as the most authentic Chinese around—won the Indy's Best the past two years in a row. Lots of fans on Chowhound. I'm not a huge Chinese aficionado, but I had heard recommendations for it as the best around for years before finally venturing over on a night out w/o the kids. Pretty authentic Chinese menu and I really enjoyed the Lotus Root. Lots of interesting meats that I skipped (I don't eat chit'lins, whether they're Chinese or Southern). I'd definitely like to go back again sometime.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,557 times
Quote:
This is getting pretty far afield from the topic of this thread, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who ventures to Gourmet Kingdom. It's pretty widely recommended as the most authentic Chinese around—won the Indy's Best the past two years in a row. Lots of fans on Chowhound. I'm not a huge Chinese aficionado, but I had heard recommendations for it as the best around for years before finally venturing over on a night out w/o the kids. Pretty authentic Chinese menu and I really enjoyed the Lotus Root. Lots of interesting meats that I skipped (I don't eat chit'lins, whether they're Chinese or Southern). I'd definitely like to go back again sometime.
What are you wanting to hear about it? Yes, I go to Gourmet Kingdom on a fairly regular basis (I don't know about "venturing" there), frequently in combination with a visit to the Cat's Cradle or the ArtsCenter near there. I'm hardly an aficionado of Chinese cuisine either, but I certainly enjoy Gourmet Kingdom a lot, and as I mentioned in my prior post, it's probably my favorite Chinese restaurant in the Triangle. I find the menu there a little overwhelming, whether in English or Chinese, but that's just due to the remarkable array of different dishes with various ingredients. (Personally, I do like many kinds of organ meat, including chitterlings, but clearly they're not for everyone.) I generally formulate my order there after a quick consultation with my smart phone, a little heart-to-heart with the (usually) very patient server, and a bit of dumb luck. So far, I've yet to be disappointed. So, overall, Gourmet Kingdom is still not up to the level of some of the awesome Chinese places I've eaten at in other cities, but it's my favorite in this area so far.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Tom, I was talking about the folks who say there's no good Chinese in the area, and haven't been to Gourmet Kingdom yet. I would like to hear if they think it qualifies as good Chinese after they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary