Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:50 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
The extent of 'crime' that happened in the neighborhood I just came from in Apex was kids occasionally either vandalizing the pool area or kids/people breaking into unlocked cars and stealing stuff. A few reports of creepers, which concerned people more for their kids than anything else, nobody wants anyone snatched up, and there are crazy people everywhere.

That said, I would and will always check the door locks before I went to bed. I'd check to be sure the garage door was closed -- one day I freaked out because I realized the next morning not only had I left it open all night, but the door into the house from the garage was also unlocked. Once or twice I had to call my neighbor and ask her to check whether the garage door had been left open or not, and I would always text her to tell her if hers was still open at 10 or 11 at night. Also, I don't open the door to ANYONE I don't know, for any reason, esp. if I'm home alone or alone with my young son.

I never feared for my safety, but there's nothing wrong with being careful IMO.
This reminds me of an idea for an invention I came up with recently. I wish I had the funds to bring it to market, but maybe someone else will.

It's a wall mounted device that fits over the garage door button on the wall. It has a camera built into it with a few IR leds for night time viewing. It connects to your wifi and with an app you can see if your garage door is open or shut. If it's open just press a button and the device can click the button on your wall to shut or open the door. It would work with every single garage door because the machine just presses the button on the wall. Battery operated and an easy install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 AM

120 posts, read 248,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
This reminds me of an idea for an invention I came up with recently. I wish I had the funds to bring it to market, but maybe someone else will.

It's a wall mounted device that fits over the garage door button on the wall. It has a camera built into it with a few IR leds for night time viewing. It connects to your wifi and with an app you can see if your garage door is open or shut. If it's open just press a button and the device can click the button on your wall to shut or open the door. It would work with every single garage door because the machine just presses the button on the wall. Battery operated and an easy install.
Hmm this is a good idea. I just had a mild freak out earlier this week when I thought I had left my door open all day. Turns out I hadn't of course. Maybe I should rig something like this up.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:31 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,053 times
I feel super safe in Wake Forest. I didn't feel that safe when I lived in Apex or Chapel Hill compared to Wake Forest. The whole Heritage subdivision is super safe. Great piece of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary