Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM

21 posts, read 38,367 times

Advertisements

Recent HVAC issue. Contractor came to house, installed 5 lbs of R-22 for $95 each Plus 2 hours labor at $95. With tax, the bill was $697.06. His write-up stated, "found suction service valve leaking, corrected charge, but system needs this part to stop leaking", "Price on repair, $800 includes labor, part, solder, and refridgerant".
This is in Franklin County, NC
Any thoughts, input, experiences, referrals on above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:14 AM

128 posts, read 151,355 times
They like to charge the big bucks for R22 because it's being phased out. Even though there's plenty available. He charged you top dollar to fix the leak (valve) and recharge.
Because there are loads of R22 equipment out there alternatives have come to market.

Amazon.com: Super-Freeze 22a Refrigerant - Replaces R22 Substitutes - "30lbs Equivalent": Home Improvement

Much cheaper.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
WRAL recently did a consumer story about this very issue:

Older AC systems can drain your wallet as refrigerant prices soar :: WRAL.com

Prices were found to vary widely between HVAC companies so it pays to shop around for the best prices. You could try asking for a partial refund if you feel that you were overcharged as the person in the story did...it never hurts to ask and all they can do is say no.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
To change a suction valve, $800, I can't tell you how ridiculous that charge is. Seriously. Like $650-$700 over charged. You got robbed on R22 too. This is the reason I got an EPA 608 license. I seriously feel for the non-educated consumers.

Why didn't you just fix the valve at the same time? It appears he'd charge you for the refrigerant again. It would've only been $100 more than you paid initially and everything would've been fixed...

Old 08-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
They like to charge the big bucks for R22 because it's being phased out. Even though there's plenty available. He charged you top dollar to fix the leak (valve) and recharge.
Because there are loads of R22 equipment out there alternatives have come to market.

Amazon.com: Super-Freeze 22a Refrigerant - Replaces R22 Substitutes - "30lbs Equivalent": Home Improvement

Much cheaper.
That is propane and not SNAP approved to put in residential systems. There are huge fines, by huge I mean tens of thousands of dollars, if found doing that.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Here is a Youtube video about replacing the valve core. It's about a $40 tool (to buy) and the valve core is a couple bucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lpe7V5gsIM

Old 08-15-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That is propane and not SNAP approved to put in residential systems. There are huge fines, by huge I mean tens of thousands of dollars, if found doing that.

Extortion. 'Not approved' means you're paying through the nose. Bend over.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM

21 posts, read 38,367 times
Thank you all - great info. I watched the video as well.
Solution: I called other HVAC company in town, their labor rate was few dollars less, but more importantly, they charge $50/lb for R-22 vs. the $95/lb from other.
Regarding logistics of things in first place - this is a rental property & went through management company. Haven't rec'd an answer yet as to why not do this as an overlapping item at the time.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
Extortion. 'Not approved' means you're paying through the nose. Bend over.
Oh it is absolutely ridiculous and mind boggling.

The thing that kills me about not allowing R290 to be used in home ac units:

1) It's 100% green. It's a naturally occurring gas that has no synthetic chemicals in it
2) It's cheap and plentiful
3) It's about 20% MORE EFFICIENT than R22
4) It's already used throughout many other countries as a replacement for R22 when R22 began the phase out (Europe and Asia)
5) The "new" refrigerant, R410a, has a greater Global Warming Potential (GWP) than R134a, which is now being phased out due to its effects on the environment. In other words, look for 410a to be phased out when the patents expire and a "new" gas is patented, requiring replacement of your equipment once again

The big "con" is it's flammable. Well my thoughts are YES IT IS. And it's already used in our homes and in fact IGNITED in ovens and furnaces. And of course the other con is the fact that it's not SNAP approved by the EPA, and like I said comes with insane fines and possibly even federal jail time. It's no joke.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:16 PM

For cars R134A was promoted as the green savior. Guess what it's being phased out for a new green savior. In France Mercedes has been told they can't sell cars with an alternative refrigerant. This alternative?? Propane based. Similar to what was used 75 years ago.
It's all a con. Personally I would have no problem charging my home AC with one of the R22 alternatives. I burn natural gas for heat I see no problem with a small amount of propane in the AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary