Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM

226 posts, read 506,994 times

Advertisements

Nice Price Books on Hillsborough St. in Raleigh has loads of books outside for 10 and 25 cents each. Both hard and soft cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
5th street books in MEbane. It's a bit of a drive for me, but my kids LOVE going the 3rd weekend of the month where books are 25cents each. We came home with 400 this time!
Make sure you google their sale because it's not really the third weekend, but the 3rd thursday of the month's weekend. It's a big warehouse and you have to search, but a lot to choose from. they have an area with vintage books that I was thinking would look great as room decor, but my shelves are already full of books!
Bonus-outlet mall not far from it!
Ooh, thanks for that info.! Mebane is not far for me, and I love used book stores and sales!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:05 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Ooh, thanks for that info.! Mebane is not far for me, and I love used book stores and sales!
If you dont go the weekend of the third Wednesday of the month, all books are 1.00-still a pretty good deal, but not when buying hundreds.
The last two times we went, they had big cardboard boxes filled by genre or author-just too many for them to get on the shelves.
Make sure you look up sale dates at booksalefind.com. They tell which weekends are the sales. We once made the mistake of going the third Saturday, but is the third Thursday -Sunday weekend.
BUT I just looked at their website and there is an inventory reduction sale. Aug 22 - 24; Aug 29 - 31!!!!!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Nice Price, Ed McCay's, Reader's Corner etc are great if you are looking for a book to actually READ, but as "filler", they aren't that cheap. You could get some off the outside rack for a dime, but most of those are really obsolete and dated, not to mention weathered by being outside. If the purpose is "decor", I don't think they'd do your shelves in your brand new house and justice.

Library book sales are a steal if you go the last day for the "$5 a box" rate, however, they will all have the library plastic on them as well as cataloging stickers, which are NOT easy to get off (says one who used to buy them to resell on ebay).

Thrift stores are indeed your bust buy--I particularly recommend ReTails off Old Wake Forest Rd. One Sunday a month, I think it's the last one (coming up), they have something like "half price book day" on books that are already cheap to start with, and the books they have are fairly current and in good shape. And, all of their proceeds go to spaying and neutering animals

You also might try Craigslist for an old encyclopedia set--looks good and takes up a lot of room!

(This is not a problem I would ever have because I have more books in my own house than I have room for!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary