Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

I mean this politely...

Have someone triple check that resume.

Correcting someone's spelling and grammar is discouraged on a bulletin board, but I have to tell you that any 5-star hotel manager that saw your unique spelling of "amateur" (umm... ameture?) would not take you seriously, unless your goal is housekeeping.

Again, just practical advice. A typo is a typo, but butchering words leads the reader to wonder if there simply may be a knowledge gap.

I'd hate for anyone to have all their other ducks in a row, then miss out due to an unprofessional resume.

Good references are crucial in EVERY line of work.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
References from other managers would be a requirement, but its not getting you an interview.

I'm not saying that you will not get an interview without knowing someone, just that most higher paying jobs come from direct recommendations.
Agreed. Either direct recommendations or working one's way up the ladder. Unless we are talking positions so high up as to be referred to as "appointments," of course.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 AM

30 posts, read 41,945 times
Ok at theS5 I will keep that in mind. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 AM

It's ok I understand what you are saying meh_whatever..I'm typing on my phone so sorry. I do have great grammer as well. Gosh. Again for any one else. Please excuse any typos my phones touch screen does this often. Trust me my resume is very well written and is posted on a few job sites where employers contact me on a regular basis after seeing my well written resume. I have no worries in that area
And ok I see what every one is saying, I will take note of it all.
Thank you

Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMarshall05 View Post

My main question is are there any special secrets to getting hired at one of these High profile hotels in the heart of Raleigh?
Based on this requirement and your responses to other suggestions I recommend you apply somewhere other than Raleigh.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
If your coming from the North to work in the South be prepared for sticker shock when it comes to salary. I don't mean in a positive way. The hospitality industry is known for some very low paying jobs and that holds true for the South.
I took a part time job for the most exclusive resort in the sand-hills golf area and my basic pay was less than $10 hr. I also never knew which were my off days until I reported for work that day.
I resigned after a couple of months because I could not make any weekend plans.
You can have the hospitality industry.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM

Oh no PDD

I was already expecting the lower pay rate but didn't think it would have such a negative impact on someone. I will still try to see what happen.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
My wife graduated from the hotel/hospitality program at NCCU. All the job offers she had, from front desk, guest services, sales, ect all started between $9-$11. There is room for advancement though, because of the turn over.... She still works PT at a Marriott but moved to a better paying profession.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM

At ncmickey..ok that doesn't sound to bad. I know I must start some where before i can advance to a higher position. So I will be humbled to get a reasonable pay rate to start me off. I hope it doesn't take to many years before advancement. I have been looking into the Marriott it seems they are always hiring, I wonder if that's a good or bad thing as to why they can't keep the employees they have, for positions to always be open.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMarshall05 View Post
At ncmickey..ok that doesn't sound to bad. I know I must start some where before i can advance to a higher position. So I will be humbled to get a reasonable pay rate to start me off. I hope it doesn't take to many years before advancement. I have been looking into the Marriott it seems they are always hiring, I wonder if that's a good or bad thing as to why they can't keep the employees they have, for positions to always be open.
She loves the people that she works with. Its one of the reasons she keeps the PT job. That, and the employee rate she gets us when we travel ;>)... Marriott moves their managers around and offer jobs at other locations to their employees. There are also companies like Remington Remington | Remington Hotels, Club, Luxury Resort Hotels, & Hospitality Services that own hotels from multiple chains. They own the Marriott RTP on Miami Blvd in Durham, near the airport. You should look into them and other 'hospitality' companies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary