Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in costs as well as I may be looking at the same thing in our newly finished basement space. HVAC has done well to control humidity last three days that I have had the portable dehumidifier turned off, so far so good. One thing to check is to have them use the slowest fan speed to ensure the ac runs longer to blow out more dehumidified air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
I could be mistaken (not an expert) but a 3 ton at 1950 sq feet in our area is at the top end of what it can cool. I have 2280 sq ft with a 4 ton. There are other factors besides square footage that must be taken into account. Here's a load calculator.

HVAC Load Calculation - Maunualj - Whole House Loadcalc
wouldn't that leave them with dryer air because ac is running all the time? Albeit warmer dryer air.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 AM

399 posts, read 700,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I hope it wasn't Weathermaster. Code or not, I've found that many HVAC companies either don't do the calculations correctly or don't do them at all and just replace what's already there with the same size system. Installation is also very important even if the unit is sized correctly and it must be properly tuned to your specific home environment.

Sounds to me like now that they have your money they don't want to talk to you. Unfortunately a lot of these HVAC companies try to bang out as many change-out jobs in a week as they can to make more $$ and the customer gets stuck with the problems they leave behind.
When a vendor doesn't respond in a timely manner to my inquiries, I mention I will leave negative feedback on Angie's List. Amazingly, they seem to find the time after all to get back with me.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM

510 posts, read 901,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
wouldn't that leave them with dryer air because ac is running all the time? Albeit warmer dryer air.

I would think so.

I wonder what the humidity expectation is inside the house vs. outside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary