Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, is your experience with the RDU school systems
Good 22 64.71%
Adequate 8 23.53%
Bad 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
We've got over $1,000 in fees this year.

I'm saving $11K in taxes so that doesn't bother me. Personally I don't want to pay for every Tom Dick and Harry's kid to have access to any-and-everything. One of the school districts on LI has a frickin planetarium!
I am very happy to pay for my kids and what THEY want to do.

Some of the elementary schools here have different electives....like Spanish. Ours used to have Spanish, but the parents complained about it. My kids took Spanish starting in 2nd grade in NY - 3 times a week for two years and they could not even count to 10 or name the months in Spanish when we moved. Just another excuse to pay a teacher related to someone $60K a year "part time". Ok, I'm getting on a tangent here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,596 times
I know this is a tangent too, but it's disheartening that my child has no extracurriculars at his school (beyond the basic "specials") while the magnets have so many fabulous ones. We all pay the same taxes, but only select schools have these things -- so technically I'm paying for other children to have free music, art, language, etc. classes while mine has no hope of getting into one of those schools. And as a single mom I can't afford to do much for him privately -- while wealthy kids from Bedford get it for free with my tax dollars.... Ending my mini-rant now.....

To tie it into the topic from the OP, based on the above I would say my experience is mixed. I like our school, the teachers, the administration, etc. -- but I think MOST of the elementary schools in the area operate with bare bones to support the magnet program that only a select few have access to. In that way, I'm not satisfied.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
I know this is a tangent too, but it's disheartening that my child has no extracurriculars at his school (beyond the basic "specials") while the magnets have so many fabulous ones. We all pay the same taxes, but only select schools have these things -- so technically I'm paying for other children to have free music, art, language, etc. classes while mine has no hope of getting into one of those schools. And as a single mom I can't afford to do much for him privately -- while wealthy kids from Bedford get it for free with my tax dollars.... Ending my mini-rant now.....

To tie it into the topic from the OP, based on the above I would say my experience is mixed. I like our school, the teachers, the administration, etc. -- but I think MOST of the elementary schools in the area operate with bare bones to support the magnet program that only a select few have access to. In that way, I'm not satisfied.
Here's a further tanget:

Do all kids NEED extras at school beyond the usual art/music/PE/computer class types of specials?

Some kids can barely pass their core courses. Do those kids need a theatre class to distract them during the school day when they can barely do basic math?

I see the point about taxes. Personally? I think magnet apps need to be reviewed like college apps. Kids who ace all their classes and/or kids that have a documented ability in an area of giftedness (be it athletic, musical, artistic, etc). I just don't see why anyone but those kids need a magnet program.

I also don't think it would be bad to boot kids out of magnet and back into their base school if they are underperformers.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Here's a further tanget:

Do all kids NEED extras at school beyond the usual art/music/PE/computer class types of specials?

Some kids can barely pass their core courses. Do those kids need a theatre class to distract them during the school day when they can barely do basic math?

I see the point about taxes. Personally? I think magnet apps need to be reviewed like college apps. Kids who ace all their classes and/or kids that have a documented ability in an area of giftedness (be it athletic, musical, artistic, etc). I just don't see why anyone but those kids need a magnet program.

I also don't think it would be bad to boot kids out of magnet and back into their base school if they are underperformers.
Full disclosure, my kid is in a magnet school with a 40 page book of fancy electives. Does he NEED it? No. Is it the best thing that has happened to us in regards to school? YES! Every school should have them. My son gets two electives each quarter. He picks one active one and one academic one. It is Atrocious that kids do not have PE every day. Having an elective where he is playing sports helps him keep his grades up because he has an outlet for all of the energy he has. Electives like "Racket It, Math It" combine academia with sports which keeps it fun. Last year he was in 3rd grade and took a science elective which included dissecting starfish, worms, and a frog. He learned so much from that about the physical sciences, certainly more than a book would have taught. Most important of all, it makes him love school because he has choices and can have some fun. He also gets a lot out of watching the plays and concerts his peers put on too, and it shows him that kids his age really can do a lot and be great if they practice.

To your other point, I do not feel that only kids with giftedness should be eligible. How many kids would be gifted if they ever got the opportunity??? To close kids out because they aren't gifted before they start there is not fair. I believe magnet programs could benefit every student and that everyone should have the option.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times
I have a child in middle school and one in elementary. Six years of working with the school system and aside from the crazy bus issues, I have 0 complaints. My kids are getting a great education. They actually love school, which even I find odd =). But the biggest praise I can give is that the communication between teacher/parent has been fantastic. Our kids teachers are constantly keeping us updated on what's going on, and what to expect. My son's middle school teachers send us emails, texts, and keep their blackboards updated. If I have a question or concern I can email them and they respond quickly. Because of this, everyone is in the loop, and my son stays prepared for school.

Over the years there have been one or two teachers that haven't been the best, but that is going to happen anywhere. Overall, I think that my children are getting a better education than I did growing up in MA, and I love the schools here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary