Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:48 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,729 times

Advertisements

If you were so inclined you could watch every episode of this show via internet downloads. For example, ShareTV.org has show information as well as lists of episode downloads for nearly every remotely popular show. I'm not promoting internet downloads, just sharing the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 04:49 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,297 times
I bet some of you people with the trees in your yard can have a dish! My sister lives in the middle of the woods and has a dish. No problems at all.

I also have bravo with dish network.

The thing about Time warner....their days are numbered pretty much, at least in providing tv service. (unless they change some things) New options are becoming available all the time. The city of Wilson is about to launch fiber optic tv. Fiber optic tv will compete with TWC in Wilson. Fiber will have the capacity to carry ENDLESS channels....internet and telephone service. This service will slowly begin to spread through out the state over time. Fiber should drive the prices of cable down overtime.

Another thing, why people spend money on TWC is beyond me. Dish network and directv are both much cheaper than cable tv. I get every channel there is with dish network for 88 dollars a month. The TWC bill would be 150 dollars! But you people continue to fork over the money to TWC.

Also! You do NOT have to have tv through TWC to get internet and telephone! It's still much cheaper to have dish network, and then pay TWC for the internet and telephone. It's simple, just do the math!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I bet some of you people with the trees in your yard can have a dish! My sister lives in the middle of the woods and has a dish. No problems at all.

The thing about Time warner....their days are numbered pretty much, at least in providing tv service. (unless they change some things) New options are becoming available all the time. The city of Wilson is about to launch fiber optic tv. Fiber optic tv will compete with TWC in Wilson. Fiber will have the capacity to carry ENDLESS channels....internet and telephone service. This service will slowly begin to spread through out the state over time. Fiber should drive the prices of cable down overtime.

Another thing, why people spend money on TWC is beyond me. Dish network and directv are both much cheaper than cable tv. I get every channel there is with dish network for 88 dollars a month. The TWC bill would be 150 dollars! But you people continue to fork over the money to TWC.

Also! You do NOT have to have tv through TWC to get internet and telephone! It's still much cheaper to have dish network, and then pay TWC for the internet and telephone. It's simple, just do the math!
To be honest, I've never considered Dish or DirectTV....they had a bad rep when we lived in the North of going out every time you got heavy rain much less a light snow. Probably not an issue here in NC. but why risk service going out all the time?

Do they still not allow you to watch more then one channel at a time (even on multiple tvs) unless you get more dishes on the side of your house? That was a real no go issue for us...but I would think they'd have to have changed that.

TWC is fine for us...good service, no issues....it just seems like a real chance to mess with the others.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,329 times
Good idea. I just moved here also and the thought of no Bravo is seriously depressing.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
To be honest, I've never considered Dish or DirectTV....they had a bad rep when we lived in the North of going out every time you got heavy rain much less a light snow. Probably not an issue here in NC. but why risk service going out all the time?

Do they still not allow you to watch more then one channel at a time (even on multiple tvs) unless you get more dishes on the side of your house? That was a real no go issue for us...but I would think they'd have to have changed that.

TWC is fine for us...good service, no issues....it just seems like a real chance to mess with the others.

Dish and DirecTV can function the same as TimeWarner regarding providing channels. You just have to run more lines around your house to provide the multi-channel capability. Each simultaneous channel needs it's own cable from the dish. And you can theoretically run a ton of cables from the dish by using a multiplexer or whatever the proper name is. Generally speaking each TV would have 2 lines run to it for a 2-tuner DVR.

As far as it losing signal. I had DirecTV for years in Rochester, NY and it only went out a few times due to weather. And each time it was down for 3-20 minutes only. TimeWarner had just as many issues with outtages and quality-of-service issues. In fact, I thought TimeWarner's picture quality was much poorer in general, at least in Rochester.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:

Just so you know, one of my family members actually works for one of the dish networks. I would get a family discount if I signed up for the dish. However I can't because of the trees. We have dozens of tall, tall trees that are all very close to the house on the south side of the building. This family member has seen our lot and agrees that we probably can't get the dish due to the trees.

Note that I've had both cable and dish within the past couple of years. They both have their pros & cons. If it's possible for someone to have the dish I would suggest they look into it, but I personally only want to have that service if the dish itself is fairly easily accessible.

And by the way, I don't know where you're getting your cost figures. I have expanded digital HD cable plus internet & we pay about $100 a month for everything (and that includes taxes).

Last edited by MrsSteel; 11-25-2007 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 AM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
I found a test somewhere online (dish site?) to see if you'd be able to get a signal and we failed it. Even so, there wasn't anything but TWC when we moved to our new home 1 1/2 years ago.

Quote:
Hmmm..well, I just love to spend more money than I need to
Seriously, its not all that black/white. I personally don't think there is a clear cut choice; both have their advantages and disadvantages and you select the one that makes the most sense to your family. For us, also from the north..the dish comes with a bad rep that we weren't ready to test out. Also, I've had multiple really bad experiences with DSL and wanted cable internet for a change. Curious what that $88 comes with. The TWC $150 includes digital cable/DVR/12 channels of HBO on 1 tv (reg cable on the bal of tvs), unlimited phone and cable internet.

[quote}
Also! You do NOT have to have tv through TWC to get internet and telephone! It's still much cheaper to have dish network, and then pay TWC for the internet and telephone. It's simple, just do the math![/quote]

Sometimes much cheaper isn't always better. Will I ever switch? If I can get a signal MAYBE but only if there a good deal drops in our laps, which happens occassionally. Right now, the start up fees cancel out the savings.

Lauren

Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,297 times
Our dish rarely goes out because of weather. If it does, it is for 20 minutes max during heavy thunderstorms....not light rain.

I come from a cable family....meaning we have been in the cable biz for years till recently. Hands down.....dish and directv are better in my opinion.

The dish needs to point toward the SW sky. To me clearing out a few of the trees would be worth it!

The 88 dollars a month for dish network includes every channel, two boxes...one is a DVR.

Dish network charges 4.99 a month for each DVR. TWC charges 8.99 a month I think.

About TWC, someone said your bill is 150 a month for everything. What does that include? Channel wise? My dad has TWC, he gets not one premium package and his bill is insanely high!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Beffrey, I appreciate your efforts, but the dish simply isn't an option for us. We know the details. We've considered all of our options. I even encouraged my own parents to switch over to the dish recently. But for us right now, we aren't willing to alter our gorgeous view just so I can watch Prjoect Runway.

If your father's cable bill is so unreasonable, I would urge him to call Time Warner & negotiate a lower charge. If that doesn't work ... well, you could always sign him up for the dish, too!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:01 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
Our dish rarely goes out because of weather. If it does, it is for 20 minutes max during heavy thunderstorms....not light rain.
I've heard so many horror stories over the years. I'm assuming technology has improved, as well as customer service?

Quote:
The dish needs to point toward the SW sky. To me clearing out a few of the trees would be worth it!
I don't think my neighbors would agree...lol. Even if the trees in the way were on OUR lot, I doubt we'd clear trees for basically TV.

Quote:
The 88 dollars a month for dish network includes every channel, two boxes...one is a DVR.
No, but I mean...you were comparing the $88 to the TWC $150 but the $150 covers more than just channels, it includes the DVR on one TV as well as every channel plus 12 of HBO, cable internet and unlimited digital phone. I was just curious if the $88 included more than channels. Anyhow, I just pulled a bill out as I am notoriously bad at remembering numbers. The price is a little higher. Its $116 for digital cable and cable internet and $40 for the u/l phone, plus $7.95 for the DVR.

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary