Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 PM

352 posts, read 550,623 times

Advertisements

Raleigh Police Threaten to Arrest Church Volunteers for Feeding Homeless | TIME.com

Feeding the Homeless Appears to Be Illegal in Raleigh, NC | Rev. Hugh Hollowell

RALEIGH, N.C.: Raleigh council gets earful about feeding homeless - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 08-29-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
Yes, there is an ordinance against serving food without a permit. I also noticed you didn't bother to use any local sources:

Raleigh relents on permit rules for helping homeless :: WRAL.com

http://raleighpublicrecord.org/news/...cry-discourse/

I can't blame the city as there are legitimate liability issues. While the various groups have good intentions, Moore Square should not become a homeless kitchen. I'm tired of getting accosted when taking my kids to Marbles. Why don't these activists offer a room in their house for the homeless instead?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Yes, there is an ordinance against serving food without a permit. I also noticed you didn't bother to use any local sources:

Moore Square Police Actions Spark Public Outcry, Discourse | Raleigh Public Record

I can't blame the city as there are legitimate liability issues. While the various groups have good intentions, Moore Square should not become a homeless kitchen. I'm tired of getting accosted when taking my kids to Marbles. Why don't these activists offer a room in their house for the homeless instead?
I'm part of a group that regularly provides meals downtown on weekends. We rent a spot in the lot adjacent to Elmo's dinner across from the park. We've never had a problem but then again I never considered myself an activist either. I even vote Republican, mostly.

I do understand the concerns the downtown merchants have and it is sad that the homeless problem exists in so many places. Many folks are just greatful for what we have and want to help others. It's not a perfect solution, but it's what we have ...

OK?

Frank

Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
Very simple solution. There are tons of churches in downtown Raleigh. With parking lots.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
When I lived in WI, there was a church the regularly let the homeless come in during the bitter cold winter nights (we're talking feet of snow on the ground and sub-zero temps for months). They'd provide food and a place to sleep. The city told them they could not offer these services because they were not licensed to offer those services.
It was sad as they helped many people.
It seems so many people are afraid of lawsuits that helping is often illegal.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 AM

352 posts, read 550,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post

Moore Square Police Actions Spark Public Outcry, Discourse | Raleigh Public Record

Netbrad - thanks for the extra links and feedback. Also, thanks to the other guys for your feedback. Have a good weekend.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM

167 posts, read 303,894 times
SO sad all people want to do is feed and leave No Body wants to take them(the Homeless etc) in to their church/home/. In many community as in Some in Fl they build large open end shelter with table etc. (i worked in one that even had Mail post box type system many used it to get a job!!) And one end has Shower.washer and dryer from 6-6 so people can come in get cleaned up some even go to work. Also this is a clean space for community helpful people to bring and hand out food. Giving the needed a place to sit ,eat like person not a hand it out go on your way Yes lot od Church in the local down town many do open some times.We have the closed YMCA down the street that would be a great start!! If all the groups that said they want to help would work together it could happen BUT all want their time in the news, Sad Our Moore Square is not a family friendly park ! Maybe some day!!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:51 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Very simple solution. There are tons of churches in downtown Raleigh. With parking lots.
Agreed. They sometimes even have event rooms that can double as soup kitchens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary