Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,232,085 times

Advertisements

I might have to check out this public hearing!

Raleigh Eyes Limits on Home Sizes :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 18 days ago)

43,164 posts, read 76,782,186 times
Geee. I sure hope they grandfather in existing homes, or half the historic districts will have to be bulldozed for non-compliance with setbacks...

And, you're right, NRG, that hearing meeting should be entertaining!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,329,583 times
I can see a compelling argument being made on both sides of this debate. It will be interesting what kind of compromise will come out of this debate or will there be?

Maybe the heart of it is individualism versus community. Depending on which side your on may very well determine which side of this debate your on.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:01 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,429,620 times
This caught my eye, too, and it might be fun to attend the hearing if nothing else but to see local politics? I also saw the issue covered on the local news last night.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,183,324 times
Oh I can only imagine the fireworks!!!

Most of the ITB crowd was just old Raleigh money. The joke was that this is where the "natives" were safe from the influx of those relocating here from the North!

Now so many relocating people love ITB but the homes were older, smaller, and had no garages.

So...the developers have realized that this is such a desireable area that they are buying up the old homes, tearing them down and building these huge homes.

Can you imagine having lived ITB all these years and then having someone tear down the small house beside you and putting up a house so large that you can no longer have a view of anything but this house???

Should be interesting...

Vicki

Old 11-15-2007, 08:39 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,086,013 times
Nothing like the government restricting our personal freedoms. While a lot of HOA bashing occurs, this is precisely why we have HOAs to begin with. It is not the government's job to step in and say that some home on Anderson Dr. can't be more than X' tall. If the residents of areas where teardowns don't like what's going on, they need to band together and create an HOA to try and implement their own such restrictions. HOAs take on many different forms and levels of restrictiveness, and I honestly think our city needs to concern itself with issues of far greater concern to the whole city instead of just a few choice ITB neighborhoods. But alas, why should I expect a Meeker-led city gov't to look beyond ITB for anything.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 AM

22 posts, read 83,804 times
mdp_az: you're very right about a HOA needing to step in and enforce regulations like this... I can just see the people arguing about who's house is in Hayes Barton as opposed to Anderson Heights if HOAs are formed. Having grown up in Hayes Barton (off St. Mary's), I find it hilarious that the McMansions have made it this far before people started protesting.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,149,414 times
I think that the rules should be looked at from an over population perspective rather than what one "liks and dislikes".

HOA, I remember a day when there was life without these mini fee based governments. You cannot have the continued constant inplementations of new rules and laws and also expect to have freedom.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Nothing like the government restricting our personal freedoms. While a lot of HOA bashing occurs, this is precisely why we have HOAs to begin with. It is not the government's job to step in and say that some home on Anderson Dr. can't be more than X' tall. If the residents of areas where teardowns don't like what's going on, they need to band together and create an HOA to try and implement their own such restrictions. HOAs take on many different forms and levels of restrictiveness, and I honestly think our city needs to concern itself with issues of far greater concern to the whole city instead of just a few choice ITB neighborhoods. But alas, why should I expect a Meeker-led city gov't to look beyond ITB for anything.
It's all about balance. I don't think Raleigh is on the extreme on this issue. The only reason why the "government" has to intervene on such issues is that some people fail to consider others around them when they make their decisions. Case in point is this new house that is going up on Glenwood just a bit North of the St. Mary's intersection. In any case, A house is under construction on the West side of Glenwood, one house removed from the corner of Sanderson Dr. This house is massive and totally out of scale to the houses next door so much that the triple car garage building that juts out the front of it completely buries the curb view and shadows the house next to it on the corner. Now, I usually don't have a lot of sympathy for folks who are sitting on little gold mines of property. But, in this case, the house is so incredibly inappropriate to its neighbor that someone needs to step in and try to control the madness before it gets further out of hand.
While this is mainly a ITB issue with Anderson Drive leading the way, it's certainly not the only place it's occuring. North Ridge is having golf course teardowns but they seem to be redeveloping with appropriate scale. Shelley Road off of Six Forks has its fair shares of new mini-McMansions juxtaposed against modest mid century ranches. I think it's appropriate to talk about these issues for the betterment of the city and its citizens. The balance we must find takes everyone's "personal freedoms" into account.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,232,085 times
Exclamation City Council Live!!!

I couldn't stick around downtown today to catch the City Council Meeting in person tonight but I *think* the meeting will be broadcast live tonight at 6:30pm on the government access channel (Channel 11 on Time Warner Cable). I plan on tuning in to see if it breaks out into fisticuffs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary