Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM

21 posts, read 42,301 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share my recent experience with anyone that might end up on this forum because they are trying to investigate this part of N.C.

I am an Electronics Technician with over 20 years experience in my field of work and have yet to receive a single interview--after months of job hunting, and tons of resumes/applications submitted.

Part of the reason my partner and I decided to move to this part of N.C. was because of the relatively low cost of living, relatively easy traffic (even coming from Portland, Oregon!), and the high-tech area "RTP" might provide a wide array of job opportunities (for me). We thought it would work out just great.
We were dead wrong.

I even had hints and warnings from others on other City-Data forums regarding Raleigh, NC area. We ignored it.

One example of a warning I received was this (from by obsessive researching) > Migration Patterns 2012 | Infographics | Atlas Van Lines
Look carefully at this 2012 migration pattern statistic compiled from Atlas Van Lines
it is very important to understand what they are conveying. Data. Hard, cold facts.

That said, I am going to have to break my current 12-month apartment lease and move out of state. This may sound extreme, but I'll tell you this: even in my partner's line of work (working in the schools), she's making 1/3 of what she was making back in Oregon. And that is laughable considering the relatively weak(er) economy of Oregon. So breaking a lease now (and paying up the a**) makes more sense than draining all of my remaining savings (which would be gone in about 3 months!) and then being stuck here as well as evicted. Seriously.

Most of the jobs here for my "title" of work pay less than if you worked at Whole Foods.
Now am I expecting to make the same $ I did back West? No. Certainly not. But not 35%-50% (no exaggeration). Those are the jobs that I have also applied for and get no response.

Be warned that this area has a very high influx of migration from other states. That is of course part of why we liked this area. The diversity in culture and people in general. Well, so much for that if you can't find work. We're moving back to a bigger city in order to obtain work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,016 times
That's unfortunate...good luck.

It's worth noting that the area is not the technology hub it was in the 90's. This statement sums it up:

The burst of the technology bubble in 2001 created enormous shifts in the information technology (IT) employment landscape in the United States as well as within North Carolina. Both computer and peripheral manufacturing and semiconductor manufacturing in North Carolina closely followed national employment trends. In the case of computer and peripheral manufacturing, after dramatic gains in employment in the period 1995-2000 (13% for computer and peripheral manufacturing), the growth flattened out in 2001. Since then, 18,000 workers, or 37% of those working in IT manufacturing in 2001, have lost jobs. In addition, the total number of plants has declined, though less severely.

IBM and Nortel dominated the area during the peak. IBM has scaled back drastically and Nortel is gone. Throw in off-shoring and you complete the picture. Seems as if the 'Research" in RTP has changed from tech to pharms.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM

19,435 posts, read 27,823,287 times
I'd say this isn't a warning about moving to this area. It's another example of why people are always told "don't move until you have a job."

Sorry for your troubles.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
So sorry things have not worked out for you and your partner.

Have you tried subletting your apartment on CL? That might be less expensive than breaking a lease and give someone else a chance at a shorter lease while they try to figure out which end is up around here.

I've read so many C-D posts urging prospective residents to have a job before they move here. As well as posts telling these folks they need to quit being so darn negative.

Wishing you better luck in the future.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So sorry things have not worked out for you and your partner.

Have you tried subletting your apartment on CL? That might be less expensive than breaking a lease and give someone else a chance at a shorter lease while they try to figure out which end is up around here.

I've read so many C-D posts urging prospective residents to have a job before they move here. As well as posts telling these folks they need to quit being so darn negative.

Wishing you better luck in the future.
I think it is important to have a job before you move ANYWHERE! Best of luck to the OP!

But...I also don't think it is necessary to tell someone that they NEED A JOB before they move when all they are doing is asking a question about a school or a neighborhood!

Some of my clients don't have jobs, don't want jobs and tell me it is annoying to them for folks to ASSUME they need that advice!

Vicki

Old 09-04-2013, 09:04 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,219 times
Too many people have moved to North Carolina and there are just not enough jobs to compete with amount of people who relocated here. Bottom line, Straight No Chaser.

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 09-04-2013 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 AM

311 posts, read 618,293 times
I'm sorry that you're having problems. I've lived in NC for many years and in the Raleigh area for about 5 years. We love it here.
Did you do research on the pay for teachers prior to moving? I know its low here..or thats what I read in the paper.
I think its always wise to know what the living expenses are, what the pay rate is, and to have a job before moving.
Good luck to you and your partner.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM

68 posts, read 134,126 times
PDX: my wife and I did the same thing that you and your partner did. We relocated here thinking this was the land of opportunity, and it is not. We're not sorry that we relocated here, but we may have done things differently, like you.

I do agree with westcoastbabe when she wrote "Too many people have moved to North Carolina and there are just not enough jobs to compete with amount of people who relocted here." She's correct. There are just not enough jobs in North Carolina to facilitate this kind of rapid growth. While there are success stories of those who relocated here and made it, the majority are struggling to even get an interview. Unfortunately, even with my experience, too, I have had far too few opportunities come my way.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDewey123 View Post
PDX: my wife and I did the same thing that you and your partner did. We relocated here thinking this was the land of opportunity, and it is not. We're not sorry that we relocated here, but we may have done things differently, like you.

I do agree with westcoastbabe when she wrote "Too many people have moved to North Carolina and there are just not enough jobs to compete with amount of people who relocted here." She's correct. There are just not enough jobs in North Carolina to facilitate this kind of rapid growth. While there are success stories of those who relocated here and made it, the majority are struggling to even get an interview. Unfortunately, even with my experience, too, I have had far too few opportunities come my way.
"...the majority are struggling to even get an interview."

Can you offer a source to support that point?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM

68 posts, read 134,126 times
Can you offer support otherwise, Mike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary