Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,349 times

Advertisements

My family just moved to Plantation Pointe in Flowers Plantation. We are originally from upstate New York. We have two daughters, one at Archer Lodge Middle in 8th grade and the other in 9th grade at Corinth Holders. The schools are much bigger than we are used to and my 9th grader is feeling very overwhelmed. I am looking for other families in this area with kids around my daughters age that they could make friends with and help the transition go a little smoother. We love the area and our new home, but this is a major bump in the road for us. We all just need to make some friends and this move would be perfect. I am concerned about my daughters well-being. Can anyone help??? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended, but why would you post this on a public message board instead of asking for help at the school, joining the listserv/email/whatever for your neighborhood, encouraging them to join a club or sports team....I mean are you really going to give out your private info if someone here contacts you? Would you tell your daughters to do that themselves?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
And, to add to what twingles posted...

9th grade is tough in general. Especially on girls, in my experience.

Your daughter will make friends in no time. School just started and this is a highly transformational year.

Try to encourage her not to despair. I'm sure you are trying it already, but you may want to redouble your efforts.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:02 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My nephew started here in 9th grade - it was tough. Kids don't want to exclude, but the groups coming in from different middle schools probably assume she came from the "other middle school" and that she knows people. There is where joining a club or activity is key. My nephew was in band, which helped a lot.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Best thing to do is to get her involved in school sports or clubs to meet other kids with similar interests.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:55 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
My daughter's friend just moved to Flowers this past spring and said the neighbors/kids are super friendly. They are not in plantation pointe, but I know there are a lot of kids over there. She's a few years younger than your kids though. I thought she said there were things you could sign kids up for in the clubhouse. That would be a way for them to meet other kids. We moved here last year and my daughters were going into 5th and 7th. Entering the last year of elementary is tough at a new school, but the 7th grader had an even harder time adjusting. My kids are not outgoing, which doesn't help in making friends. Those are rough ages to move to a new area.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 AM

527 posts, read 686,817 times
Please never tell your kids you've posted on here - I bet they would me mortified! Give them time at school, in school events and social groups - track, choir, band/orchestra, and they will be fine.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
You need to work harder at this then in times past, thats a fact no matter where you go. People are getting more antisocial so it takes more work.

Stay involved with the kids.
Go to any school events, you and your kids will meet people. this is a good one because antisocial people aren't going to go to these events.
Walk and talk in the subdivision.
As others said it takes some time in school, it should pick up in a few weeks as kids get settled and come out of their shells in school.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:23 AM

289 posts, read 489,585 times
Another way for her to meet people is at church. You could visiit together as a family, then hopefully she may meet some young people and find out if they have a youth group.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,504 times
9th grader - I really think 9th grade is easier to make friends, because everyone is new. I agree with the suggestions of joining school clubs and groups. I'm sure she'll start clicking with friends in classes, etc.

8th grader - Middle school is just more difficult period, IMO...I never really understood the whole new kids have such a hard time. When I was in school different cliques would try to get new kids into their cliques. Not to say this happens with every new kid. Of course if they are cuter and/or have a good vibe they are going to want to scoop them up before someone else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary