Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:35 AM

166 posts, read 418,861 times

Advertisements

Check with Nationwide. I just got condo insurance for my mother and it was quite reasonable.

A general observation about homeowner's insurance... Many people get too much insurance. They think... "I purchased my home for $300,000 so I need to insure for $300,000". However, the price you paid includes the land too, which is arguably the most valuable part. You only need to insure to replace the house and contents, which is usually quite a bit lower than the price you pay for a house plus the land under it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
Check with Nationwide. I just got condo insurance for my mother and it was quite reasonable.

A general observation about homeowner's insurance... Many people get too much insurance. They think... "I purchased my home for $300,000 so I need to insure for $300,000". However, the price you paid includes the land too, which is arguably the most valuable part. You only need to insure to replace the house and contents, which is usually quite a bit lower than the price you pay for a house plus the land under it.
Quite right. But I would say that ANY insurance agent that sold that policy and didn't ask the right questions deserves to lose the business. (And yes, that would apply to the telephone based insurance companies, too. Like USAA, who explained this to me when I bought my first house in 1991.)

Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:

Theoretically, the land can be lost as in the Florida sinkhole issues or land erosion on the beachfront.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:53 PM

494 posts, read 815,864 times
I have insurance coverage for the cost to rebuild my house which is more than it is worth. I'd rather overinsure then not have enough coverage to rebuild. I have State Farm and my policy just went up $25 or so this year for the same coverage.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:02 AM

86 posts, read 146,852 times
Quote:

Watch Nationwide after the first year. Just got a bill for a 22% increase, with no claims. Time to shop the auto and home insurance around again. It seems like we have to change every year, as these companies all seem to low-ball the premiums for the first year.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
We're with Amica and pay $395 for our 1850sf house worth a little under $200k. $1k deductible.

Switched to Amica from State Farm a couple of years ago and sliced my premium almost in half. We were at $353 the first year, creeped up to $375 for 2012, and now $395.
Just got our renewal with Amica and it's $405 for next year...2.5% increase. So it's still so far so good with them heading into year four!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary