Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
I always look for the country of origin. China? Never purchase.
I agree 100%. I had a recipe for some crawfish dish and went to Harris Teeter to buy the crawfish.

Saw a bag of frozen ones named "Beaudreaux's" or some such Cajun name. Turned the package around and the tag said "Product of China".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM

613 posts, read 746,389 times
FYI, I was just in Aldi, North Raleigh. All of their seafood is labeled with country of origin. I inspected 10-12 bags all had country of origin label. The China stuff I put back and purchased some USA fish.

Tomorrow I will try and inspect Costco and post back.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Seafood......there's NO substitute for local/fresh! You can't fly fish here fast enough from China, to make it even a little appealing. I prefer mine caught within the last 36 hours!
I used to work at UPS and we had pallets of frozen fish come through on the aircraft. Suckers weighed about 7k lbs. I always wondered how long they had been out of the water.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM

544 posts, read 852,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I always wondered how long they had been out of the water.
Probably long enough to lose their gills and start growing feet.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
And now we're sending chicken over there too for processing and import.

I read about that recently and saw some pics of a processing plant in China. It was totally gross.

I think this whole thing must be a conspiracy to get the "little people" to become vegetarians while the "elite" buy quality, grass-fed-in-Montana type of steak and anything else they want.

Raise chickens here, ship them to China where they're processed in horrific conditions that nobody really checks on unless the plant in China is forewarned, so that when they come back they can be labeled as a U.S. product.

And seafood? Wonder where the best quality seafood comes from, but caught within a day sounds good to me. That formaldehyde testing thing can be purchased for about one dollar, btw.

best,
toodie

Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
There are a couple of guys in Raleigh selling seafood about 36 hours after it was caught. They drive to the Outer Banks twice a week and buy whatever the fisherman caught that day. Some restaurants in Raleigh pay top dollar to serve seafood that fresh. WRAL's website has a story about them.

And in case you didn't know, all that salmon in the grocery store (farm raised) isn't even pink in reality. The food pellets they eat turns them pink. Only wild-caught salmon that has worked hard swimming upstream is naturally pink.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 PM

399 posts, read 700,679 times
You know "fresh" fish is frozen while still on the boat, right?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
There are a couple of guys in Raleigh selling seafood about 36 hours after it was caught. They drive to the Outer Banks twice a week and buy whatever the fisherman caught that day. Some restaurants in Raleigh pay top dollar to serve seafood that fresh. WRAL's website has a story about them.

And in case you didn't know, all that salmon in the grocery store (farm raised) isn't even pink in reality. The food pellets they eat turns them pink. Only wild-caught salmon that has worked hard swimming upstream is naturally pink.

Oh, yeah, I think I read about those guys recently. Thanks for the reminder.

I wouldn't buy farm raised any kinda fish. Gross. But the wild-caught salmon from the west coast may soon glow in the dark with contamination from Japan.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
And now we're sending chicken over there too for processing and import.
THIS is a huge concern. Ridiculous. Once this actually gets going ill have zero issues paying $12+/lb for local poultry.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:44 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I wouldn't buy farm raised any kinda fish. Gross.
Why not? I can understand the difference between wild caught vs farm raised salmon, but what's the difference on something like catfish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary