Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:04 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle67 View Post
Buying a crappy house is better than renting a closet-sized apartment and paying almost all of someone else's mortgage on their crappy house

This is why I asked for people's opinions on KB and this particular development...but, no one really had anything to say except lecture me on why I should use a realtor. If there are people out there that have ACTUALLY purchased a KB home and have some input, that would be greatly appreciated...even if it is negative (even better if it is). I like to hear what real people have to say and not the media glorification.
Elle, it almost sounds like you want affirmation more than anything, especially since you are under a deadline pressure for a number of leftover positions in the development. If you've seen their product (and the quality is basically the same nationwide), like the development, the home, the price... then go for it. You'll be happy that you did. However, is 'sounds' like you are under a lot of self-impossed pressure, and fear, and that's not a good combo when buying a new home. Just my opinion.

As far as that development. Haven't seen it. Don't need to. I've seen KBHomes all over the country. Basically same stuff. Lots of upsells for not included upgrades. Can be costly. And though ALL construction must meet code, I've seen a basic no frills KBHome, and I was not impressed. I've seen an upgraded one, and few I've liked. Few. I just think their designs are boring, and I agree with the previous poster, that a lot of KB developments look run down after a few years.

But there may be a reason for it. KB is basically an entry level new home (again, opinion). However, since they are entry level, and are oftentimes less expensive, they attract a lot of first time homebuyers or buyers who have been renters for a while. Sometimes... let me stress... sometimes, such buyers haven't caught on to the idea that their new home they just 'bought' must be treated and maintained like their new home, and not a rental. Homes in rental neighborhoods are generally not quite as nice as homes in owned neighborhoods. There are exceptions, of course. Nothing is absolute.

Me, I would not buy a KB Home, myself, unless it was upgraded to the hilt, and it was in their premier line, in a premier neighborhood. I've even met Bruce Karatz, and have had a conversation with the man. Nice guy. Lawyer. Knows his business. And, I presume, knows how to cut the right corners to make maximum profit. And he basically taught me and a lot of my colleagues what they do to make the maximum profit on their product. Doesn't make them bad. No way.

Just not my style of home. Again, I don't know the particular development, so I will not comment on that part.

Number two... it would not have hurt you to have enlisted an agent. You wouldn't have had to pay anything (since you're the buyer), and you would have had protection, to a degree depending on the level of expertise of that agent. Of course, you don't 'need' an agent... but you in particular, unfortunately, and forgive me, but you don't seem to know enough or have enough confidence in the buying process to know what to look for, both positive and negative. An agent, in this case, is a good thing. And there are agents who refund 1% of the purchase price back to you, legally. So, you would have come out ahead.

Anyway, once you make your decision, and move into your home, I know that you will be happy. Don't regret if you've already signed on the dotted line. KB makes a good home. My opinion, they're not top of the line by any means, but I doubt you'll need to worry about the home falling down or anything like that. And hopefully, the market will be good to you and reward you with appreciation (then THIS would be better than renting).

Just don't stress out or put yourself under some pressure just because a few properties are left. There will be more. And, I'm assumming this phase is the final phase (which may mean that you are paying the highest price for this lot and home than the previous phases).

Enjoy your new home. Best of luck. PM me if you want to chat more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Default Moving to Amberly too

I found this thread way too late...
I signed up for one of the last lots left in Arlington park in amberly... and I did not have an agent

just a week after i signed the contract they had a PRE-OPENING prices offer... is there anything I can do to get those prices now?!?!? they are like ~30k under... so unfair!

PLEASE HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary