Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I may wind up moving this to the NC forum, but what did you all think of the robocall that middle and high school parents got this AM re: HPV and vaccines?

I'm unsure of the reasoning behind this, as our family doctor has already discussed these matters with us (and I'd know about it anyway, due to my line of work).

All kids have to be vaccinated to be in school in Wake County (unless there's a waiver I do not know about for religious exemptions?)... and would not their physicians be the best people to disseminate vaccination info?

I refused the HPV vaccine for my kids and will continue to do so. My opinion, based on my reading and education on the subject.

But... still... do we need the school system calling us about these things?

I found it rather strange. I want them to tell me if there's an outbreak of a disease on campus. Otherwise, I would prefer not to get their advice/opinion/lectures regarding HPV or any other thing that isn't necessarily an immediate threat to my childrens' health and well being.
I have no input about the call from WCPSS, however I can tell you that as a nurse practitioner, if I had school aged children I would definitely vaccinate them against HPV. I work in oncology and so many of the cancers we are now seeing (not only cervical, but oral - tonsillar, laryngeal as well as esophageal and penile) are of the squamous cell variety and positive for HPV. There's quite a bit of info out there regarding the increased risk of malignancies with HPV. Most of the physicians I work with, including prominent, highly regarded GYN Oncologists have vaccinated their kids.

There is a physician (and I use the term loosely) who has written about the dangers of the HPV vaccine. He is pretty much a quack. Here's a link to something about him.
FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

Here's an interesting article about the number of parents who have decided against vaccination.

Side effect fears stop parents from getting HPV vaccine for daughters - CBS News

Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
That was pretty much my POV.

You may have parents who should be better informed, but I don't feel good about the government getting involved in this thing and leaning toward mandating a vaccine (that is potentially dangerous) to prevent such a minimal chance of getting cancer from HPV.

If this was an epidemic type of illness, my POV would be different, I assure you.
Yes, that's my feeling about the gov't getting involved. I did laugh when someone said "THE LAW REQUIRES IT" - that was kinda my point. People who don't take their kids to the doctor on a regular basis are not signing up for or listening to robocalls from wcpss, I can assure you of that. If they have to be prodded to turn in their dtap vax info by a certain date for 6th grade, they aren't taking their kids for a the-jury's-still-out voluntary vaccine.

People have become immune to the ever-increasing gov't intrusion into their lives....one of these days it will happen with THEIR hot button issue, whatever it is.

Again, that's the issue I am addressing - not vaccines. I grew up with a mother who was a public health nurse in the 1950s -enough said!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Since the comments were in conflict, I'm not sure how they could be more accurate than the article. There certainly was nothing compelling in the comments that made me think the vaccine was a bad idea.

Too late for me anyway, my girls have already had theirs. No regrets.

And BTW, it won't make them more promiscuous because we just said "it prevents certain types of cancer" and that is all they needed to hear. At some point they'll put 2+2, but I''m pretty sure that will not negate the knowledge that sex=babies.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
People who don't take their kids to the doctor on a regular basis are not signing up for or listening to robocalls from wcpss, I can assure you of that. If they have to be prodded to turn in their dtap vax info by a certain date for 6th grade, they aren't taking their kids for a the-jury's-still-out voluntary vaccine.
This statistics suggests otherwise:

Quote:
Earlier data from the C.D.C. showed that Hispanic girls were more likely to be vaccinated than white girls, even though they were less likely to come from families with health insurance or to get regular medical care. That is partly because a federal program that covers vaccines for the poor and underserved gave the H.P.V. vaccine to clinics, while many patients with private insurance had high co-pays or had to pay the full price, generally up to $500 for a complete cycle of the vaccine.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, that's my feeling about the gov't getting involved. I did laugh when someone said "THE LAW REQUIRES IT" - that was kinda my point.
Really? How many people in this country would be vaccinated against things like small pox, polio, etc. if the government didn't get involved??

Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
we've gotten it every year for years now. We got the one for pertussis too. It's not exactly a "new" vaccine anymore. just hang up if you don't want to
listen
I am not happy about a school system doing robocalls about a health matter, however, it is the best way to reach the parents of pre-teens. If I had a child, I would certainly get them vaccinated after reading about the man with oral cancer. I wouldn't want my child to go through that treatment.

The pertussis (whooping cough) booster is beginning to be recommended for preteens also, because the vaccine effect wears off faster than the scientists expected. There have been many outbreaks of whooping cough which could be prevented by the booster shot. Here's the article: Why Whooping Cough Vaccines Are Wearing Off: Scientific American

Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
For some reason its en vogue to blow off or demonize vaccines. You aren't just making a choice for your child but for society as a whole. There are lots of conspiracy theorists out there that will provide you with the data you are looking for if your desire is to reach the above conclusion but to really get to that point you have to believe:

1. The researchers and scientists who worked on the vaccine are incompetent or bought.
2. The drug companies are soo powerful that they are immune to any liability
3. The FDA is bought and paid for by the drug companies.
4. The statistics are fabricated.

Seems like quite the leap to me.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
For some reason its en vogue to blow off or demonize vaccines. You aren't just making a choice for your child but for society as a whole. There are lots of conspiracy theorists out there that will provide you with the data you are looking for if your desire is to reach the above conclusion but to really get to that point you have to believe:

1. The researchers and scientists who worked on the vaccine are incompetent or bought.
2. The drug companies are soo powerful that they are immune to any liability
3. The FDA is bought and paid for by the drug companies.
4. The statistics are fabricated.

Seems like quite the leap to me.
Do you work in pharma? Or biotech?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Society might judge that 5 deaths out of 10,000 patients is acceptable. An individual may decide that is not an acceptable risk for them personally. It does not make the statistics false, or those who espouse them liars - it just means different decisions by different decision-makers for different reasons.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
After having many family members with different types of cancers and losing my sister to it, the idea of having a way to easily prevent any kind of cancer is a no brainer to me. Wow...how lucky our kids are that they won't have to worry about one horrible type of cancer! I hope they come out with more vaccines like this.

As for the call from WCPSS, they had to know it would rub a few people the wrong way, but I think they are doing it for the general good. Everyone makes there own choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary