Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 AM

70 posts, read 129,638 times

Advertisements

My co-worker who lives in a nice neighborhood in Clayton spoke about this situation just the other day. She said that a woman was standing around on the sidewalk in front of homes at 3 in the afternoon and when her children got off the bus, the woman told them to tell their mom that "a nice lady would be coming to see her soon."

Like others on this board, I never answer my door for anyone I'm not expecting, no matter who they appear to be or what time of day it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:25 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRDU View Post
I'm not saying that your case wasn't a scam, but there are kids that legitimately do this.
Yes, they do, and they say "Hi, I'm from XXXX Middle School and I'm selling magazines for our fundraiser" although the companies explicitly tell them NOT TO SELL DOOR TO DOOR (can you tell we just had our magazine fundraiser?) Aside from the potential danger, we have about 50 kids on my side of the neighborhood from said middle school, so it's not like there are a ton of potential customers going door to door.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, they do, and they say "Hi, I'm from XXXX Middle School and I'm selling magazines for our fundraiser" although the companies explicitly tell them NOT TO SELL DOOR TO DOOR (can you tell we just had our magazine fundraiser?) Aside from the potential danger, we have about 50 kids on my side of the neighborhood from said middle school, so it's not like there are a ton of potential customers going door to door.
I hate that they still make kids do this crap. I miss the days of school festivals with PTA-organized bake sales and the like. I wonder what percentage of the fundraising sales go straight to the company

Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I hate that they still make kids do this crap. I miss the days of school festivals with PTA-organized bake sales and the like. I wonder what percentage of the fundraising sales go straight to the company
My kids will never go door to door asking neighbors to support something they are interested in or something for a school fundraiser. If they want to contribute they can do extra chores around the house and I'll pay accordingly.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
The fundraiser gets only a small percentage of the overpriced chocolates, wrapping paper, etc.

We decided early on not to participate in the fundraisers. We gave $30 to each reasonable fundraising undertaking and called it good.

Ditto when the neighborhood kids came around. We donated $5 or $10, depending on the kid and the project they were fundraising for.

Girl Scout cookies were an exception to the above.

Lemonade stands as well. I never pass up a lemonade stand.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
It's about 50%. We asked for direct donations this year as well, and raised about 40% of our money that way. Frankly I think most people would just as soon write a check to support the PTA!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Since I pay taxes and dont have any kids, Ya'll are getting way more than enough from me. I wont give an additional penny....

Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
It's about 50%. We asked for direct donations this year as well, and raised about 40% of our money that way. Frankly I think most people would just as soon write a check to support the PTA!
I was upset the one year the school didn't just ask for a check. With a check my contribution is doubled by employer matching funds and my children don't have to be held captive to the Boosterthon peer pressure crap. One year, my youngest would come home in tears each day for a week feeling inferior because she only had a couple of pledges and there was such pressure to solicit more to earn "prizes".

Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
50% is pretty darn good. I don't remember any of our kids' fundraising efforts resulting in a 50-50 split.

It seems like every time I turn around someone is wanting me to raise money or contribute to a cause. Walk for MS or Alzheimer's or... March of Dines. Dog rescue. The band trip to to Florida. The local football/track/tennis team.

Fundraising feeds to pay for cancer treatment for someone without insurance. Auction for the crisis shelter. The list goes on and on.

Rarely a day goes by that I don't get a phone call, a brochure, an email, an invitation to a fundraising event, someone knocking at the door...

Old 09-25-2013, 03:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
We enforce "no solicitation" in our community since solicitors may really be looking to case for burglaries or to do worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary