Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 PM

136 posts, read 435,691 times

Advertisements

The door-to-door sales may be legit, but there's a decent chance that it's a scam at some level. I've seen a number of news stories about crews of kids getting conned into a 'job' and being van-pooled in to canvas a neighborhood. Might be magazines, might be candy. Sometimes you never see your magazines, other times the kids get never get paid.

My take on the matter is that part of living in a community is supporting your neighbor's kids in these efforts. God knows the neighbors supported some of mine when I was a kid. I just politely decline those that are from out of my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 04:21 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
My issue with a lot of these fund-raisers is that people/kids are bascially asking you to subsidize their extra-curricular activities/hobbies. It's fine if little Susie wants to be on a cheer team whose ultimate goal is to get to a manufactured tournament in Disney World so they can compete to be champion-cheerleaders-of-the-world. But don't stand outside Wal-Mart with a can out asking us to pay for the trip. There are certain activities that we choose for our kids that we alone should be responsible for. When my oldest wanted to go on her high school spring break trip to France, we didn't park her outside a store with a can -- she saved her money from an after=school job and we matched her savings so she could go.
Thank you, yes!! We don't expect other people to subsidize our kids' activities, and if there was some big travel expense involved with the activity, we'd consider that cost before we signed them up in the first place.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:23 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
See, I'm the total opposite. It makes me crazy when I get stuff from charities - please spend the money I give you on your endeavor, not trying to impress me or give me things.
But normally the goods and services are donated, so the charity is getting all the money you spend.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:37 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_terp View Post
I know how you feel. Just last night I told an organization that I've supported for years that I don't plan on contributing this year because I'm trying other charities.

I don't take your post as a complaint, but rather an observation. If you were King For The Day, what changes would you make to local fundraising groups? I'm curious because I volunteer for a local charity.
I've been involved in several fundraising endeavors including one for a Boys and Girls Club for years. Annual alumni banquet with silent auction. Huge amount of work to gather up all the auction items.

But I view fundraising as friend raising and mined that group for job shadowing and intern opportunities for club members, volunteers for various projects, etc.

What I've noticed is the number of fundraising "asks" has increased exponentially over the years. It's impossible to keep up.

Some years ago, I had a stroke of good fortune, so I set aside 10% and divided it up among a number of groups doing good work. Over the next two years, I was inundated with glossy brochures asking for donations. They spent every penny I sent them and then some asking me for more money. What a waste.

I now send slip money anonymously in the Salvation Army buckets and send it to the Food Bank with a note that says if I ever receive a request, my annual gift will cease. So far, so good.

I also send to Maggie Doyle, a young woman who is operating an orphanage, Kopila Valley Children's Home, in Nepal. (blinknow.org if you want to read a story that will reaffirm your belief in the next generation.)

I have a couple other places I send money during my annual holiday giving spree. None of these places hit me up for money. They don't send trifold brochures, knock on my door, or call me at dinner time. I found them. They didn't find me.

I like the idea of earning money instead of just asking for it. I think the cheerleaders could have put together a lawn mowing, dog washing, babysitting ... service to raise money for their trip. Seems they would learn more from that than hitting up people in front of WalMart.

I was struck by the odd notion that likely many of those people donating for their little jaunt made less money than the cheerleaders' families.

I know there are a lot of good groups doing good work. I just get tired of getting hit up for money constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary