Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,849,782 times

Advertisements

They are in the process of opening a location in my old hometown of Clearwater, FL. Looks like an interesting operation, though I haven't been in one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 AM

554 posts, read 1,153,853 times
Some Wawa's are fantastic, others not so much. I don't miss them at all, honestly. Sheetz fits the bill just fine.

What I DO miss, however, is Swiss Farms. A little stand alone, DRIVE THRU convenience store. It had the basics- milk, toilet paper, ice cream, newspapers, etc. More expensive of course, but so, so, so, convenient for those times when I was alone with the young kids and just couldn't fathom taking them into the store for milk. Or the mornings we woke up and wanted pancakes and we could hit Swiss Farms for a quart of buttermilk. I miss that.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 AM

12 posts, read 14,388 times
Sheetz opens a new spot near my home soon. Exciting!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM

725 posts, read 1,499,578 times
Interesting that most people so far seem to prefer Sheetz, I prefer Wawa because it was the local chain where I grew up while Sheetz was a Western Pennsylvania chain at the time. I think the hoagies at Wawa are better than Sheetz but prefer to go to a Mom and Pop place for subs when I am in PA.

The NY times did a piece this year on them - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/us...ce.html?ref=us

Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM

9,772 posts, read 15,771,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Some Wawa's are fantastic, others not so much. I don't miss them at all, honestly. Sheetz fits the bill just fine.

What I DO miss, however, is Swiss Farms. A little stand alone, DRIVE THRU convenience store. It had the basics- milk, toilet paper, ice cream, newspapers, etc. More expensive of course, but so, so, so, convenient for those times when I was alone with the young kids and just couldn't fathom taking them into the store for milk. Or the mornings we woke up and wanted pancakes and we could hit Swiss Farms for a quart of buttermilk. I miss that.
OMG - LOVED Swiss Farms! I would have killed to have one of those when my kids were babies.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I've never heard of them, whatever they are.
Wawa was originially a dairy and they had convenience stores throughout the Philly area. It was similar to a 7-11 but better. They were known for their hoagies and their fresh milk/dairy products. The ones I know from my youth were small stores - open late and on holidays.

When they started expanding, and I guess as convenience stores evolved, they also added gas stations. The ones from my childhood are a lot different than the mega convenience stores with gas stations off I-95 that you see today. Their hoagies are still pretty good. And I've been known to buy a Philly soft pretzel or two there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawa_Inc.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 788,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We stopped at a WaWa in Delaware that was gross. Not a good area maybe that's why. The WaWa in Cape May, NJ is amazing though!
Just went to that Cape May Wawa several weeks ago. Picked up my usual of a half gallon of jug of tea and some Philly soft pretzels.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,329 times
I find it amazing that anyone is excited about a convenience store or gas station... You need to get out more!!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I find it amazing that anyone is excited about a convenience store or gas station... You need to get out more!!
I don't think it's the store itself. I think it's the familiar place and memories of going to those stores that gets people excited.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Hey, just be glad the subject isn't Wegman's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary