Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:26 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
No matter which company you go with, get references and actually CALL THEM to get their opinion of the company first hand. I'd even go so far as going out to see a job or two they did which will speak volumes regarding their workmanship and materials quality if you know what to look for.

Regarding materials, wood wrapped in aluminum is fine if the wrap is done correctly and critical seams sealed to prevent water intrusion behind the aluminum. Be aware that if you go with an all aluminum frame it might make noises during the hot and sometimes cold weather months as the aluminum seam joints will expand and contract which is less of an issue with wood construction. I would also have concerns about light weight aluminum framing supporting a heavy wooden roof unless wooden posts are supporting the roof structure and then surrounded with the aluminum framing for the screen room enclosure. And again if you go with an all aluminum roof it will make noise especially when it rains heavily or when acorns fall on top of it if you have oak trees nearby.

Good luck with your decision....!
Oh yes, I plan to call for sure! Maybe actually see the work as well. The roof we plan to put shingles on just for that reason...the rain will sound horrible! Luckily no acorns near us
I'll be sure to ask about the posts. Which if they have to pour the footings I would hope it's a wood post but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
You need to find my prior posts about Joseph Grantham. We went through a similar (albeit not quite as comprehensive) search for a good contractor for our porch and he was bar none the best. We ended up paying him to finish off most of our basement plus build an oversized garage/shop as well.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:20 PM

277 posts, read 797,796 times
Also, I would ask what kind of screen they use.....I have Super Screen on mine and it's night and day difference from regular screen material....much thicker and has a ten year warranty.
I love it!

Old 09-27-2013, 05:08 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal (aka Oregon gal) View Post
Also, I would ask what kind of screen they use.....I have Super Screen on mine and it's night and day difference from regular screen material....much thicker and has a ten year warranty.
I love it!
Good point as well....!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 AM

Thanks NC gal! The guy from Inside out Construction came by yesterday but he doesn't offer vinyl or aluminum. Just for things like the knee wall etc but doesn't wrap the wood in either material.

Have another guy coming by tomorrow so see what he say

Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 PM

We decided to go with Hutch Sunrooms - Hutch Sunrooms Plus, A Raleigh General Contractor | Goldsboro, NC Doug was really nice and his quote came in under Champion for aluminum frame screen room. I looked them up on Angie's list and while only a few reviews it was positive. Since we are financing it we have to time to also call references. I have to still put in my HOA form and get that approved before we even start ordering material and get permits etc. I loved that he had an application on his ipad which after he took a picture of the patio he showed us ( based on what we wanted - roof style, etc ) what the finished room would look like from the yard and an interior view as well. I'll post an update once we gets things rolling and we start building. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 PM

475 posts, read 1,575,536 times
Thank you so much for the detailed posts. We are looking for something similar, so I have now called Hutch based on your feedback...

Old 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
Default Has anyone used Natural Light Patio Covers?

This is the product name for an acrylic patio cover, installed locally by Roofing Inc. We are thinking of enclosing a courtyard, 10'x10'.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
I can't say enough good things about Kendall's work:

Custom Exterior Details

Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 AM

Update on our screened in porch. They finished the porch early this year and we are very happy with the final product. They did a great job and haven't had any issues. We only noticed very minor drainage issues in a couple of spots in the front of the floor but we asked them to come back and add weep holes which they did (no charge) and resolved the problem

I would use them again but get multiple quotes! Wood will be cheaper to install but we didn't want the maintenance. I have no desire to paint all that wood every 2-5 years lol! The aluminum just wipes clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary