Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 AM

292 posts, read 507,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
A good health care provider knows how to effectively communicate with their patients and that includes sensitivity and empathy. They also know that lecturing patients will just cause them to loose patients and cause the patient to not seek out healthcare, which compounds the problems. From your "advice" here, it's obvious you are not a trained medical professional.
Assuming that comment is for me -- you are correct, I am not a medical professional. I've already said I think the entire health care system is a broken, for-profit, racket where income for those working in the field is optimized by keeping people sick. I would be quite the hypocrite to sign up to be a part of that as a career choice.

I am however an extraordinarily fit and healthy person -- no thanks to medical professionals, but more to my own ability and willingness to study areas outside those that pay my monthly bills, and my problem-solving abilities. I have a lot of experience in staying healthy.

So yeah, I do think my advice and opinion in this particular thread is as relevant as anyone else's. Perhaps a lot more relevant than someone who has a financial interest in INCREASING the number of visits to a doctors office the OP spends money on (any medical professional).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 04:32 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,826 times
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're experiencing a lecture when you go in for a sore throat or something like that. The only time a doctor should mention weight loss, if needed, is at the physical, IMO, and even then in an encouraging, general way.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
Assuming that comment is for me -- you are correct, I am not a medical professional. I've already said I think the entire health care system is a broken, for-profit, racket where income for those working in the field is optimized by keeping people sick. I would be quite the hypocrite to sign up to be a part of that as a career choice.

I am however an extraordinarily fit and healthy person -- no thanks to medical professionals, but more to my own ability and willingness to study areas outside those that pay my monthly bills, and my problem-solving abilities. I have a lot of experience in staying healthy.

So yeah, I do think my advice and opinion in this particular thread is as relevant as anyone else's. Perhaps a lot more relevant than someone who has a financial interest in INCREASING the number of visits to a doctors office the OP spends money on (any medical professional).
If your advice and opinion is a Dr. recommendation it is relevent. That's what the OP asked for. Maybe you don't know this but people generally don't listen to advice that they haven't asked for. Advice from an anonymous stranger online... ?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 PM

292 posts, read 507,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
If your advice and opinion is a Dr. recommendation it is relevent. That's what the OP asked for. Maybe you don't know this but people generally don't listen to advice that they haven't asked for. Advice from an anonymous stranger online... ?
So it does or doesn't matter that it's from an anonymous stranger online? Oh ok, it's all good I guess only if they ask for it, right?

Yes, I understand that some folks will only listen to the advice they specifically want to hear and tune out everything else, but the whole purpose in posting to public forums is that there are others who might be interested in good advice as well. I'm not here to try to single-handedly change the world or even the life of one, but I might treat myself to the satisfaction of knowing I did try to contribute.

In the bigger scheme of things, I really couldn't care less if anyone else actually follows the advice I give. In the case of ignoring good advice about obesity, well that process is called natural selection (over the long term a self-solving problem) and for many, that process is going to happen whether I give my opinion or not.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Please stay on topic. If you have a doctor suggestion for the OP, please respond. All other posts will be deleted.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,844 times
Wow...I just logged back in and saw the response my question had sparked. I am sincerely apologize for asking something that causes this much debate. Thank you to those who took the time to answer my question - it is much appreciated.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinemama View Post
Wow...I just logged back in and saw the response my question had sparked. I am sincerely apologize for asking something that causes this much debate. Thank you to those who took the time to answer my question - it is much appreciated.
No need to apologize.

There are posters with pretty strong opinions on the issue of doctor responsibility here, but I think that many of them made some good points AND you got a few recommendations. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,115 times
I'm re-heating this topic with more than a little trepidation, but oh well.

I have PCOS, which makes weight loss extremely difficult unless I want to effectively stop eating altogether and work out 8 hours a day. I was going to see Carson Rounds at Village Family Care in Wake Forest, but he has since moved to Charlotte and I don't trust any of the other doctors at his old practice to not be fatshaming jerks. Yes, I know that I'm fat, no need to bash me over the head with it, and I don't want to hear a self-righteous lecture replete with patronising assumptions about what I eat or how I live.

Having said all that: any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Is Cary too far for you?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM

168 posts, read 350,043 times
acidqueen, are you seeing a dr. to treat your PCOS? If not, check into Dr. Ann Brown and her NP Katherine Pereria at Duke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary