Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 03:50 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times

Advertisements

It never ceases to amaze me how even a simple task, like moving from one apartment to another, can get expensive rather quickly. When my roommate/brother lost his job, he moved out, leaving me to have to pay the full rent for a 3BR apartment. I had every intent to move anyway after all of the break-ins, so this just forced me to do it sooner. So, just moving from a 3BR to a 1BR in complexes managed by the same company, I didn't have to pay the usual $250 background and credit check fee. However, I did have to pay:

- $150 fee to move my cable/internet service.
- $150 deposit for my power hookup.
- $383 pro-rated rent for the portion of this month in the new apartment.
- $100 for my final water/sewer from the old apartment.

not to mention the usual U-Haul rental, packing materials, gas, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how even a simple task, like moving from one apartment to another, can get expensive rather quickly. When my roommate/brother lost his job, he moved out, leaving me to have to pay the full rent for a 3BR apartment. I had every intent to move anyway after all of the break-ins, so this just forced me to do it sooner. So, just moving from a 3BR to a 1BR in complexes managed by the same company, I didn't have to pay the usual $250 background and credit check fee. However, I did have to pay:

- $150 fee to move my cable/internet service.
- $150 deposit for my power hookup.
- $383 pro-rated rent for the portion of this month in the new apartment.
- $100 for my final water/sewer from the old apartment.

not to mention the usual U-Haul rental, packing materials, gas, etc.
Moving is expensive. I'm moving next week I am moving and my deposit for the electric was $200, water was $50 to initiate and $50 deposit, hourly movers, prorated rent & water, insurance, etc. Oh and TWC charged me to have someone come out for the internet. I even paid to get my mail forwarded (it was only $1.00). It's also very time consuming.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
You shouldn't have to pay any deposit for electric if you have good credit. Also, if you pay the bill on time every month they will refund the deposit after a year.

We just moved in December. I don't remember paying a fee to transfer internet service either. Maybe I paid a nominal fee, but $150 I would have remembered. We use Time Warner.

The pro-rated rent is just only paying the rent for the days you occupied the apartment. It's not an extra fee. Were you charged for both apartments? or did you also pay only for the days you occupied the 3 bedroom?

But, yes, moving is expensive. I've done it 3x in the last 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary