Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
Yeah, but that is the cartoon map. Here is the high res one:

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/comple...ialHighRes.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 AM

48 posts, read 102,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernInSeattle View Post
This is what we are being told almost verbatim in off-the-cuff remarks from those who actually work at the NCDOT. There would be approximately 850 homes destroyed on the purple route, vs the approx 700 on the orange. It is also the single most costly route out of all 17. This is quickly shaping up to be your classic dog and pony show, but we are dealing with the federal government here, so I suppose that is a must.
This is not correct. The alignment following the Orange route would require around 200 relocations. The alignment following the Purple route would require around 350 relocations.

Cost estimates for the different alternatives haven't been developed yet, so it is not yet known which route would be the most expensive. You can do a rough estimate based on length of the alternatives, but that is only a very rough estimate.

Others have commented about the Dwarf Wedgemussel--the alignment following the Red route is the only one that avoids its habitat.

Various routes have to be considered in order to meet federal requirements. The Orange route is still a viable option--NCDOT just can't proceed with building the road along that route without completing the environmental study.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
I will respectfully offer up that this thread irks me.

OP-did you start this thread because you are genuinely concerned for your former neighbors in
Sunset Oaks? The reason that I ask is that it is pretty easy to interpret this thread as much as a
"nyah-nyah, we sold our house in Sunset Oaks before the sky fell" than as a thread offering information. My guess is that you wouldn't be starting threads about the possibility of 540 bordering Brighton Forest if that was on the table.

This thread also contains quite a few inaccuracies about exactly what is going on here and could frankly
encourage the spread of falsehoods about exactly what this new study is, why it is going on, etc.

My brother lives in Sunset Oaks. I live in The Park at West Lake. These neighborhoods both border the Purple route. While I have no plans to move and my home is in a location that will not be directly impacted
should the Purple route become reality, my brother is faced with different challenges in that he had planned to put his home on the market next year.

At the end of the day I have very little concern about the Purple route ever being viewed as viable on multiple levels. That's why I am all the more troubled by the possibility of people becoming misinformed about the status of the last section of 540. As Mr. Jaquish pointed out above, the DOT already owns substantial portions of the orange route. They have been acquiring this property for decades. The last 20 plus years of development in the southern sector has been guided and implemented by this route. Not only would the proper entities have to acquire all of the new property and get into serious eminent domain issues, but they would have to at some point dispose of substantial parcels of land whose value would be affected negatively by the fact that 540 was not passing thru the way it was supposed to since the '90s.

Due diligence is really important. I don't get my information from Henny Penny-if anyone is genuinely concerned about this study they should do the research, participate as they see fit in the process, and not get caught up in the scuttlebutt.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 PM

219 posts, read 483,818 times
I agree with Funky Chicken. The post has been bothering me since yesterday and as usual someone else is brave enough to say what I am thinking (and I suspect others are too).

Due to the transparency of real estate transactions in Wake County, it's no secret that several homes in Sunset Oaks turned over the minute the market began to recover this spring/summer. I am among the recent buyers.

Seeing the post that started this thread turned my stomach, although obviously the situation wasn't news to me. The spreading of misinformation, whether intentional or not, is upsetting.

The facts don't support this option ever becoming a viable route. Beyond that, so many of the affected homeowners would raise cain that it would be tied up in litigation forever -- and all that would have to be dealt with before anything could actually happen.

I'm not going to stick my head in the sand. I have a stake in the neighborhood now and I'm going to do everything I can to be informed and be a vocal opponent. I hope others in the detailed study area will do the same.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM

164 posts, read 287,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnola View Post
This is not correct. The alignment following the Orange route would require around 200 relocations. The alignment following the Purple route would require around 350 relocations.

Cost estimates for the different alternatives haven't been developed yet, so it is not yet known which route would be the most expensive. You can do a rough estimate based on length of the alternatives, but that is only a very rough estimate.

Others have commented about the Dwarf Wedgemussel--the alignment following the Red route is the only one that avoids its habitat.

Various routes have to be considered in order to meet federal requirements. The Orange route is still a viable option--NCDOT just can't proceed with building the road along that route without completing the environmental study.
What we've been told runs along with the last two parts you've posted. The approximate numbers of homes were figures given to my husband after spending an hour on the phone with a Doug (last name escapes me at the moment) at the NCDOT. I'll ask when he gets home to decide whether my husband is nuts, or if Doug is. Good to know the number is a lot lower, regardless. Interesting both of our figures are about ~150 off from orange vs purple? May I ask where you read/heard these numbers? We are in the midst of writing several letters to send off to "the powers that be" so the most accurate figures would be extremely helpful.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM

48 posts, read 102,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernInSeattle View Post
What we've been told runs along with the last two parts you've posted. The approximate numbers of homes were figures given to my husband after spending an hour on the phone with a Doug (last name escapes me at the moment) at the NCDOT. I'll ask when he gets home to decide whether my husband is nuts, or if Doug is. Good to know the number is a lot lower, regardless. Interesting both of our figures are about ~150 off from orange vs purple? May I ask where you read/heard these numbers? We are in the midst of writing several letters to send off to "the powers that be" so the most accurate figures would be extremely helpful.
The larger numbers are the number of homes within the 1,000 foot study corridor. The actual right-of-way width will be 300 feet. It is within the 300 feet right-of-way where properties would need to be acquired.

PM me if you'd like additional information...

Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I will respectfully offer up that this thread irks me.

OP-did you start this thread because you are genuinely concerned for your former neighbors in
Sunset Oaks? The reason that I ask is that it is pretty easy to interpret this thread as much as a
"nyah-nyah, we sold our house in Sunset Oaks before the sky fell" than as a thread offering information. My guess is that you wouldn't be starting threads about the possibility of 540 bordering Brighton Forest if that was on the table.

This thread also contains quite a few inaccuracies about exactly what is going on here and could frankly
encourage the spread of falsehoods about exactly what this new study is, why it is going on, etc.

My brother lives in Sunset Oaks. I live in The Park at West Lake. These neighborhoods both border the Purple route. While I have no plans to move and my home is in a location that will not be directly impacted
should the Purple route become reality, my brother is faced with different challenges in that he had planned to put his home on the market next year.

At the end of the day I have very little concern about the Purple route ever being viewed as viable on multiple levels. That's why I am all the more troubled by the possibility of people becoming misinformed about the status of the last section of 540. As Mr. Jaquish pointed out above, the DOT already owns substantial portions of the orange route. They have been acquiring this property for decades. The last 20 plus years of development in the southern sector has been guided and implemented by this route. Not only would the proper entities have to acquire all of the new property and get into serious eminent domain issues, but they would have to at some point dispose of substantial parcels of land whose value would be affected negatively by the fact that 540 was not passing thru the way it was supposed to since the '90s.

Due diligence is really important. I don't get my information from Henny Penny-if anyone is genuinely concerned about this study they should do the research, participate as they see fit in the process, and not get caught up in the scuttlebutt.
Mr. Jaquish would also offer that if a real estate agent posted a thread like this, with so little substance, it would be reasonable to assume there was some attempt to induce panic to profiteer.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 AM

164 posts, read 287,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnola View Post
The larger numbers are the number of homes within the 1,000 foot study corridor. The actual right-of-way width will be 300 feet. It is within the 300 feet right-of-way where properties would need to be acquired.

PM me if you'd like additional information...
Ahh. Yep, this is where the discrepancy came from, read this in the draft report we came across last night. Thank you!

In case anyone else would like to check it out, you can download it here. It's about 515 pages, but if this affects you - it's worth the read.

207.4.62.65/PDEA/MergerMeetings/09192013_Complete540/Comp540%20Draft%20Alternatives%20Report_Sep2013.pd f

Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM

397 posts, read 805,415 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with information being passed on to the public by the OP. It remains to be seen what will actually happen with 540 along that route.

As a consumer, I'd want all this information to me before I bought a house. When you make a 400-500k decision, stuff like this matters a lot.

When you're talking about potentially having to tear down houses to build a highway in a peacefull golf community, it can cause great unrest and stress for anybody who lives there. Maybe a differnt tone could have been used. The "I'm glad I left" makes other people still there feel uneasy. But I can't say I don't agree with that thought.

But as they say, you can't shoot the messenger. It's the State of NC and progress with the highway system.

If houses do indeed get torn down, you can already see the lawsuits flying about who gets paid what and compensation for moving. I leaned about Eminent Domain in high school. But not sure that applies here or if I remember what that means.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM

20 posts, read 38,997 times
We are thinking of buying at the Park at Langston off of Optimist Farm Road. If the orange route is implemented, then I'm hearing the 540 will be less than a mile north of this neighborhood. I'm not sure if traffic will be heard so close and how that will affect price values. Does anyone know at what point values go up or down depending on proximity to a major highway like that? I can't get answers as to how close it would be but I'm hearing it will intersect with Ten Ten Road and Bells Lake which is pretty close. If anyone has information and/or who lives there (Belmont, Park at Langston) in south Cary I'd appreciate any info. I know there are public meetings scheduled next week and perhaps we will know more.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary