Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 17,914 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving down to Chapel Hill from Boston in several months. Husband is originally from Durham. Looks good for home offer we just made in Sedgefield/Stoneridge. Anyone familiar with this are subdivision (north of 40 off of Whitfield Road) Any pointers for good shopping close by, restaurants? Most importantly, we need recommendations for preschools for our 2.5 year old. Anyone familiar with the Waldorf school or the Duke School, or the montessori nearby? Our 5 year old will go to the Ephesus Elementary., if you have any info there as well.
Thanks,
Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:23 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
If you don't like woods, country roads and deer you'll be miserable. It's a nice semi-rural part of Chapel Hill. Decent sized subdivision with 1-2 acre lots, tons of woods, bordered by Triangle land conservancy and Duke Forest lands (lots of nice hiking trails). Has a nice community pool. Can't help you on specific knowledge of the preschools you mentioned, other than the fact that Emerson Waldorf and Friends School are quite close and well regarded (less than two miles). Duke School is more like 5 miles. Shopping wise, the nearest grocery store is Harris Teeter, maybe a mile away or two away. To get there you'll drive over I-40, which will put you within 10 min of all the shopping you'd want. You'll be pretty much equidistant (~10 min) from downtown chapel hill and durham, so the restaurant options are large...the best places nearby are Margarets Cantina and Sage (if you like vegetarian), which are close to the Harris Teeter, and Bagels on the Hill, which is about the same distance near the corner of Weaver Dairy and Sunrise.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:38 PM

toot,
we love woods, country roads and even deer (but not when they eat all the plantings!!) Thanks so much for your kind response. It helps to hear what people have to say.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFABoston View Post
Hi, we are moving down to Chapel Hill from Boston in several months. Husband is originally from Durham. Looks good for home offer we just made in Sedgefield/Stoneridge. Anyone familiar with this are subdivision (north of 40 off of Whitfield Road) Any pointers for good shopping close by, restaurants? Most importantly, we need recommendations for preschools for our 2.5 year old. Anyone familiar with the Waldorf school or the Duke School, or the montessori nearby? Our 5 year old will go to the Ephesus Elementary., if you have any info there as well.
Thanks,
Carol
I would also suggest looking at carolina parent online (they have excellent resources for many things, with preschools being one of them!). You also may want to look into joining trianglemommies.com and I think you can join before you move, but that might have changed. If you cannot it is a fun resource for parents as they have an online forum, playgroups, etc

Leigh

Old 11-18-2007, 06:32 AM

351 posts, read 1,194,544 times
Welcome. We just moved this summer as well and really like it here.

The Chapel Hill Mother's club website was a big help to me when we moved. I'm not familiar with the schools you mentioned but Estes Children's Cottage is wonderful, I've heard great things about the Chapel Hill Co-Op and the Sunflower School in Hillsborough. Feel free to PM me. I'm by no means an expert but happy to help when possible.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro Mothers Club: Home

Segefield/Stoneridge seems to be such a nice area. Congrats on the house deal.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,637 times
We are in Chandler's Green which is fairly close to Sedgefield. There is no shortage of stores and restaurants nearby. There are several shopping centers on 15/501 and a huge Super Walmart in Hillsborough. Not to mention the many restaurants on Franklin Street and in Carrboro. One restaurant that you should try but may not notice is Dream Catchers Cafe in the Timberlyne Shopping Center. It is a really good French restaurant.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Thanks to everyone! I am looking forward to exploring everything down there. We are up in Boston and have been planning this move for over a year now. We are psyched about the Trader Joes opening. I guess I better get on the ball with the preschool situation. I will tour a couple when we come down to see the house next weekend (yes, we put an offer on the home, but have never seen it in person!)
Carol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary