Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 AM

79 posts, read 227,146 times

Advertisements

While searching for homes I found a subdivision in Holly Springs called Windcrest. It seems to be a nice area however I did notice that there are quite a few homes for sale in this subdivision. Any particular reason why? What about Holly Acres?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I sold a few homes in Windcrest, built by KB Homes.

There used to be a waiting list to get one built! Windcrest has a nice community pool.

I'm not sure why there are so many homes for sale in the neighborhood...seems that people just move often here and it is a large neighborhood.

It is far enough away from the Holly Springs landfill, so that isn't it.

The statistics used to be that people move about every 5 years but in the Triangle, it is every 3 to 5 years.

Vicki

Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
This is not "Windcrest-Bashing"-

The fact is that Windcrest is a neighborhood at a price point and in a location that drew a lot of first-time buyers in. It's also a neighborhood that could be described as one with two sets of residents, one group who will leave Windcrest and move up in the market and the other who will leave Windcrest and go back to renting. At this point in time some of those buyers' mortgages have adjusted or the buyers have simply found out what it takes financially and in terms of time and effort to maintain a home.

There are more yards in Windcrest that are neglected than yards with nice curb appeal-this indicates to me that owners are either struggling to afford their homes or don't care about maintaining them or both.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:15 PM

106 posts, read 503,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
This is not "Windcrest-Bashing"-

The fact is that Windcrest is a neighborhood at a price point and in a location that drew a lot of first-time buyers in. It's also a neighborhood that could be described as one with two sets of residents, one group who will leave Windcrest and move up in the market and the other who will leave Windcrest and go back to renting. At this point in time some of those buyers' mortgages have adjusted or the buyers have simply found out what it takes financially and in terms of time and effort to maintain a home.

There are more yards in Windcrest that are neglected than yards with nice curb appeal-this indicates to me that owners are either struggling to afford their homes or don't care about maintaining them or both.
I'll have to agree with you on the yards. We looked in Windcrest when we first started our search. There was something about the neighborhood I didn't like, but I couldn't put my finger on it. You sure can get a heck of a deal right now with so many homes for sale. We bought in Braxton Village at the same/similar price point and there are things I didn't like about my neighborhood either. You just have to weigh your pros and cons... and decide if YOU like it!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 PM

106 posts, read 503,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpd View Post
While searching for homes I found a subdivision in Holly Springs called Windcrest. It seems to be a nice area however I did notice that there are quite a few homes for sale in this subdivision. Any particular reason why? What about Holly Acres?
Do you mean Avent Acres? I LOVED this neighborhood, but there is a line between nice and not so nice homes (in my opinion). At the time the homes for sale were beyond my price point. Do they have a neighborhood pool? I just loved the different style homes that were in this neighborhood! So pretty!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,012 times
I have several friends that live there. I think when you consider that Windcrest has over 400 homes, having 14 for sale (whichis what MSL is saying) isn't that bad at all. And I think a lot of people are selling b/c they are trying to make a buck. People that built their homes will get a $10,000-$20,000 profit if they sell right now.

Yes, I do agree that it is a "starter" neighborhood, but I think it is one of the best "starter" neighborhoods in Holly Springs. You certainly won't get a custom home in a wooded neighborhood with tons of features and amenities, so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere. But if you want a good, quiet neighborhood at a reasonable price, I think it's worth looking into.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 24,414 times
There have been several homeowners that went into foreclosure in the neighborhood, but that may be a function of the front of the neighborhood having smaller start-home type houses. You do get quite a bit of square footage for the money and most of the floor plans are really nicely laid out.

There is a pool/playground in the community and the town just built Veteran's Park at the back of the neighborhood (bordering Sunset Ridge). It has a picnic shelter, walking trail and fitness stations. There are lots of folks there at all times of the day, and people in the neighborhood are friendly.

The community just started a group called the "Green Team" where neighbors volunteer to help others who are having a hard time keeping their yards up (brown thumbs like me!) and do planting days. Hope this helps!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 AM

679 posts, read 810,057 times
Any more recent opinions on the Windcrest subdivision in Holly Springs?

Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
I was through there a bit (3 months ago) again just driving around. Seemed OK to me, it's small starter houses. But it's a good location in my opinion. My tract borders sunset ridge as well. It can be quite dramatic if you are coming from Sunset Ridge which are very nice homes, with great yards etc and then you hit Windcrest where it's just not as affluent, but it still seems nice to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary