Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:04 AM

404 posts, read 2,615,999 times

Advertisements

ive heard alot of people prefer rex to wake med north or wake med raleigh,.
Id love to hear opinions and also recommendations of obstetrician
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 10:12 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
where you deliver will depend on your doctor. Some docs only deliver at rex, others at wake med, it just depends on the doc. Wake med north does not have a birthing center, in this area you would either go to wake med (on new bern ave, or big wake as many natives call it) or rex. I cannot recommend my doc because I had my babies in cary, and they are based out of there so they deliver at the wake med in cary.

Leigh

Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 AM

584 posts, read 2,423,246 times
Wife and I just delivered our baby boy at Rex 3 weeks ago. She used Atrium OB right across the street from Rex. A great experience.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:16 AM

10 posts, read 33,490 times
My OB/GYN is through Physicians for Women. It is a small practice with two men. They are both wonderful. They deliver at Wake Med's Women's Pavillion in Cary, I have heard other women have had good experiences there. I can let you know first hand in January. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:49 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
I'm done having babies. If I wasn't my first choice would be the birth center in Chapel Hill:
Women's Birth & Wellness Center. Chapel Hill, North Carolina
birth center loc: Chapel Hill, NC - Google Maps
Triangle Birth Network :: Choosing a Birth Place

This documentary is going to have another screening in Chapel Hill. It was standing room only on 11/13.
The Business of Being Born (http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/trailer.htm - broken link)

Old 11-22-2007, 05:55 AM

90 posts, read 296,955 times
Where do you live? That makes a big difference.

I have a very high opinion of Rex and their birthing center... but I work at WakeMed! I delivered at Big Wake and love Kamm MacKenzie etc. All of my healthcare friends all go there (that I can think of) which says something. Wake Med Cary is newer, prettier, swankier - but your doctor choices are very more limited (2 main docs there most of the time - and if you don't care for them or if you aren't from Cary, you may be better off looking at Rex or Big Wake.)

My advice is 1) geography 2) any complications to your pregnancy - if so - look at Big Wake only 3) pick a doctor first - and then deliver where they deliver. Blue Ridge, Atrium have great reps...

Congratulations!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:29 AM

404 posts, read 2,615,999 times
i live just off capital and purnell in wake forest

Old 11-23-2007, 02:32 PM

33 posts, read 89,087 times
my wife just gave birth to our son last week at REX and I was very impressed with their birth center and nurses. Like everyone else stated, if you pick an OB first then you have already picked a hospital. Our OB was Capital Area OBGYN, they have an office next to REX and one in Cary.

The only complaint I had was that it was packed (I hear that is also true at WakeMed). The delivery room was in the birth center, but the recovery room was on the pediatric floor in the main part of the hospital b/c of space. A nurse told me they set their record number of births in Oct around 600. And they at already surpassed that number for Nov (as of 11/17).

Old 11-23-2007, 03:04 PM

75 posts, read 413,907 times
If you have kids (and do not have the luxury of any close friends/family in the area to help with the other little ones), make sure you ask if other children can be in the room. We toured both Wake Med and Rex, and both hospital systems said absolutely no children even in post-partum rooms unless accompanied by an adult OTHER than the mother and father. So basically, we couldn't bring our two year old at all. For that reason, we had to deliver at UNC Chapel Hill; it was a fine experience -- and my wife loved the doulas and mid-wifes that came to help.

Another thing to consider is potential complications. I do not remember the specific NICU levels, but I think UNC Chapel Hill is the most highly rated NICU in the area. We asked Wake and Rex who told us that they would transport to UNC Chapel Hill for serious complications with the newborn.

Good luck and best wishes!

Old 11-23-2007, 05:10 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
When I give birth I'm leaning toward NBC-TV and the Guinness Book of Records folks attending.

No due date yet...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary