Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:12 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times

Advertisements

I know we talk about Durham more because it's a part of the triangle but looking at the state as a whole it's odd to me that Durham gets more mention than Charlotte. The latter clearly has more crime (and a higher population to be fair) but doesn't seem to get the reputation Durham has. I have my own guess for why this is the case. Anyway, I frequently visit Charlotte to see friends and attend Panther games, anyone ever see the newscasts there?

I would say Durham has more crime per capita than Raleigh, but I don't know if it warrants the constant bashing. There are parts of Durham I wouldn't walk through or let my wife drive through alone, but I know spots like this in Raleigh just the same. (And even one or two in Cary). I’m guilty of a small amount of judgment based on media focus. I do however recognize that most of my own bias is probably due to unfamiliarity with Durham since a lot of the revitalization and any other changes that have most recently occurred over my 30+ years in the triangle.

Unfortunately there will always be some amount of crime everywhere (except inside the gates of Olde Raleigh).

Old 11-19-2007, 01:45 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
By the way, that report has come under some criticism...

Quote:
The study drew harsh criticism even before it came out. The American Society of Criminology launched a pre-emptive strike Friday, issuing a statement attacking it as "an irresponsible misuse" of crime data.
From the same article...

Quote:
But the mayor of 30th-ranked Rochester, N.Y. -- an ex-police chief himself -- said the study's authors should consider the harm that the report causes.

"What I take exception to is the use of these statistics and the damage they inflict on a number of these cities," said Mayor Robert Duffy, chairman of the Criminal and Social Justice Committee for the U.S. Conference of Mayors.

The rankings "do groundless harm to many communities," said Michael Tonry, president of the American Society of Criminology.
"They also work against a key goal of our society, which is a better understanding of crime-related issues by both scientists and the public," Tonry said.
full article: newsobserver.com | Report names Detroit most dangerous city (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/monday/front/story/778549.html - broken link)

Old 11-19-2007, 03:34 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
See? Its not just the housing market. You must always think about something that you read and then determine if its even accurate! I'm the first one to believe what people say but must stop and think before I believe anything people write!!!

Vicki

Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM

282 posts, read 835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
By the way, that report has come under some criticism...

From the same article...

full article: newsobserver.com | Report names Detroit most dangerous city (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/monday/front/story/778549.html - broken link)
I just love how they get away with saying things like this without backing it up. If it's not the right analysis, then what is? HOW is the model flawed?

I also love the FBI's reaction to it - in short: "we're going to publish these stats, but you can't USE them to draw conclusions...." LOL

Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM

122 posts, read 488,284 times
I'd like to see city stats posted by zip code so I can determine which areas of a specifci city has lower crime rates. Does anyone have knowledge of such a site.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,279 times
Durham publishes crimes online:
Durham Police Department

I would love to see other cities do this.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Default Because it is part of a Triangle and invites comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
I know we talk about Durham more because it's a part of the triangle but looking at the state as a whole it's odd to me that Durham gets more mention than Charlotte. The latter clearly has more crime (and a higher population to be fair) but doesn't seem to get the reputation Durham has. I have my own guess for why this is the case. Anyway, I frequently visit Charlotte to see friends and attend Panther games, anyone ever see the newscasts there?

I would say Durham has more crime per capita than Raleigh, but I don't know if it warrants the constant bashing. There are parts of Durham I wouldn't walk through or let my wife drive through alone, but I know spots like this in Raleigh just the same. (And even one or two in Cary). I’m guilty of a small amount of judgment based on media focus. I do however recognize that most of my own bias is probably due to unfamiliarity with Durham since a lot of the revitalization and any other changes that have most recently occurred over my 30+ years in the triangle.

Unfortunately there will always be some amount of crime everywhere (except inside the gates of Olde Raleigh).
I think Durham gets a focus because of proximity to Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill. This invites a comparison thus a stark contrast between very safe Cary and Durham etc. While Durham is not crime ridden by contrast.......

Thus the discussion. Charlotte is more isolated and does not invite the immediate comparison. I am moving to the Triangle which areas are safe which might not be? That invites the Durham answer.
Make sense?

Old 11-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am moving to the Triangle which areas are safe which might not be? That invites the Durham answer.
Make sense?
No. It makes no sense.

Even in the context you created, it's absurd to make the blanket comment to anyone that Durham, "Isn't safe."

Old 11-21-2007, 12:33 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
No. It makes no sense.

Even in the context you created, it's absurd to make the blanket comment to anyone that Durham, "Isn't safe."
I am not saying it makes sense but why the question gets asked and responded to. Humans do many things that don't make sense but the question becomes what triggers their insensibility. This forum invites questions and responses that may not make sense but they still get asked and responded to. I have had several discussions today about is it warmer in Carolina or Maryland today. The answer is Carolina however they are both warm for November 21. Thats what happens when you compare and contrast and one becomes the greater of the two with the other being the lesser.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am not saying it makes sense...
I know you weren't saying that. You were asking, and my answer was no.

I don't feel that 'proximity' is the driving force behind the Durham bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary