Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,802,677 times

Advertisements

Going on sunday suckas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 PM

498 posts, read 851,605 times
Since our kids couldn't hold the baby chicks last year and we can buy NC State ice cream at NC State, this year we have decided to skip the fair! I kind of can't believe it....and who knows, we may cave....but tomorrow we are going to have a non-fair-fair day. My husband is taking off work and we are going to Pullen Park (rides and fresh air), have Krispy Kreme donuts (fried dough), go to either the Museum of Natural Science or the art museum (exhibits), and of course stop by State for some ice cream. And if I don't feel sick enough, we'll swing by Kilwin's on the way home for some fudge. Oh! And I bought bags of kettle corm from Fresh Market for snacks for the day ;-)

I will miss the piglets and cows, but we are going to be sure to visit some sort of agritourist place in the next week to help make up for it.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:30 AM

162 posts, read 291,283 times
Same here -- we're skipping it....after leaving last year and figuring out how much we spent we said not again. Once you start adding up the entrance fee, tickets (the larger ride prices are ridiculous), food etc -- just not in the budget.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 AM

22,623 posts, read 36,573,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
How much do you save by purchasing in advance? I'm so crowd phobic.... trying to work up the guts to go this year. Kids are asking....
Go FIRST THING Sunday morning (unless you want to pull the kids out of school). We've done that the last few years and can be done by the time the crowds get out of control (and they do get out of control, at least for people like us - think Times Square on NYE).

If you purchase your tix in advance you can avoid lines at the gate - which shouldn't be a problem anyway since you're going FIRST THING SUNDAY MORNING! You save a couple dollars.

A lot of schools are getting money back on the sales too - check with your school because you may be able to get them there and raise some money too.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:09 AM

22,623 posts, read 36,573,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
Same here -- we're skipping it....after leaving last year and figuring out how much we spent we said not again. Once you start adding up the entrance fee, tickets (the larger ride prices are ridiculous), food etc -- just not in the budget.
I'm trying to avoid it this year too. Trying to think of something else to do with the kids since they are actually asking to go to the fair this year....and I just can't do it again.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,016,877 times
Is it a pipe dream to be able to take kids but not ride rides? My husband and I don't care much about rides (don't hate them but just not our cup of tea). We can get out for the fair for the two of us for the same as a date night, easily. We spend a lot of time looking at all the exhibits, watching the free shows, and then both pick something super delicious to eat. By then, we've killed probably 4 hours and are ready to go home. But it's just us (for now) so it's easy to avoid rides. I do like the idea of the Pullen Park, museum, donut day instead for when kids come along!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:36 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,712,479 times
I digress . .but we're having a free petting zoo Saturday at Taylor's Wine Shop.
Farmer Mary from Winterpast Farm will be there with her critters.
1005 Six Forks, Raleigh
10-12

Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,102,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm trying to avoid it this year too. Trying to think of something else to do with the kids since they are actually asking to go to the fair this year....and I just can't do it again.
Mine never ask to go anymore. This pleases me immensely. I don't like going to the fair. It's overly crowded, the food is of dubious quality, and the rides are both expensive and questionably safe.

I loved the fair when I was a kid. Mine just don't care much about it. I think it was my ex husband that turned them all off going. He REALLY hated it.

I think my last trip there was in 2003.

The kids have gone a couple of times since then with my mom to see the livestock exhibits, but even that was 5 years or more ago.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM

9,764 posts, read 15,712,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Is it a pipe dream to be able to take kids but not ride rides?
I think you just have to be very clear about it in advance. Tell them you are going but there will be no rides. And ask if they still want to go. If so, stress it again on the ride over that you won't be springing for rides. Then they will not be disappointed.

We once went to a county fair and we had tickets in advance. I told my kids they each got x number of tickets which would be good for about 3-4 rides each and that was it! Once the tickets were gone, they weren't getting any more. It worked out okay even though our friends were purchasing a couple books of tickets. We were clear with them about the limitations. I hate to blow $60-$70 on an afternoon.

If you buy your ride tickets now (by Oct. 17), you get 18 tickets for $10. Not sure how many rides that will buy you - I'm guessing about 4 total. You could do that and give your kids 9 tickets each (assuming you have two kids) and tell them they can each pick two rides to ride and that's it. Just be clear up front that that's all you are doing.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM

600 posts, read 3,442,105 times
You know, the N.C. State Fair is a grand opportunity for you to watch your kids have a blast. Yes, it costs some money, probably too much, but it's once a year. My kids used to start saving up for next year's fair almost the day after they got back from this year's fair. I supplemented their funds a little, but every time we went we had a ball. We ate stupid stuff, Drank sugary drinks out of silly containers through cartoon straws, threw away a few bucks at the games (won once in a while, though!). We petted a few animals (the camels stink!) and my boys watched in amazement as Dave from Turn and Burn Pottery made them each a frog out of a small piece of clay.

I understand if a family can't afford the trip, but if you can, and you have kids, then take them. It isn't really about the parents. Kids don't care about the expensive rides or the fat-loaded food. They care about face-painting, and flying chairs, and tilt-a-whirl, and the crazy mouse, and cotton candy, and they'll remember that time always. "Mom and/ or Dad took them to the fair, and we...."

Go have some fun. Forget that you're an adult for a little while.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary