Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 34,354 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four relocating to the NC Raleigh metroarea. We will most probably stay in an apartment in Cary until we do a goodhouse search. We need help finding a good private pre-k for our 4 year old twins.We can't find something we can compare to the Stratford or Challenger ofCalifornia. Chesterbrook is the only one we came across . Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:18 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,248,609 times
I don't have first-hand experience, but all of my colleagues with children have either sent their children to Chesterbrook in the past, or currently have children enrolled. They've all been very pleased with the school, and those who have graduated to grade school all seem to be excelling academically. C'brook seems to have provided a great foundation.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:14 PM

6,814 posts, read 9,020,081 times
I also moved from the Bay Area. Welcome! Are you only looking for schools in Cary?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,076,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshmesh View Post
We are a family of four relocating to the NC Raleigh metroarea. We will most probably stay in an apartment in Cary until we do a goodhouse search. We need help finding a good private pre-k for our 4 year old twins.We can't find something we can compare to the Stratford or Challenger ofCalifornia. Chesterbrook is the only one we came across . Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks!
My former public elementary school in Los Gatos (Howes) is now a Stratford school. I know this is of no help but it was fun to hear Stratford called out in this forum.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM

748 posts, read 1,372,858 times
We moved from the SF Bay Area 5 years ago and love it here! Welcome!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:02 AM

23 posts, read 34,354 times
Thanks everyone! It feels great to find people who can relate to the local schools in the Bay Area. We are still not sure where we will be as a final location so we opted for temporary renting in Cary based on recommendations on this board(Any recommendations on apartments complexes would be great) . We are looking for outstanding pre-schools for the kids while being in wake county district as one of our kids receives special needs services through the public school services. For longer terms plans (3-6 months) we are hoping to zone in on areas to buy a home that we can compare to Palo Alto, Los Gatos and Cupertino of the Bay area (stellar public schools, kids friendly and safe).
Thanks!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,076,782 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! It feels great to find people who can relate to the local schools in the Bay Area. We are still not sure where we will be as a final location so we opted for temporary renting in Cary based on recommendations on this board(Any recommendations on apartments complexes would be great) . We are looking for outstanding pre-schools for the kids while being in wake county district as one of our kids receives special needs services through the public school services. For longer terms plans (3-6 months) we are hoping to zone in on areas to buy a home that we can compare to Palo Alto, Los Gatos and Cupertino of the Bay area (stellar public schools, kids friendly and safe).
Thanks!
Although it was eons ago, when my family moved from Los Gatos to Raleigh we were behind in school compared to the students in Wake County. That was my experience as a pre-teen.

Wake County has one giant public school system which is different from the South Bay Area. Your best bet is to get your kid into a magnet program if you want to maximize the public school experience. As for stellar areas in Raleigh that might give you that Los Gatos/Palo Alto feel, look in Cameron Park or Hayes Barton in Raleigh or in Chapel Hill/Carrboro nearer the university. All those areas are pricey in compared to the rest of the Triangle but they are relatively inexpensive compared to LG, PA or Cupertino.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 10-16-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 AM

554 posts, read 1,151,947 times
Quote:
For longer terms plans (3-6 months) we are hoping to zone in on areas to buy a home that we can compare to Palo Alto, Los Gatos and Cupertino of the Bay area (stellar public schools, kids friendly and safe).
Thanks!
I am not familiar at all with the Bay Area, and we have only been living in Cary for 3 years. I do have a child in the Wake County Public School System, however. I have never heard anyone refer to it as "stellar" There are good schools and mediocre schools, and our experience has been entirely driven by the skill and expertise of the individual teacher each year. We had one really amazing year, and I would call that teacher exceptional. We have been underwhelmed every year since. Wake County (and NC in general) is not a very teacher-friendly place.

It is, however, very kid friendly, and safe.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 AM

36 posts, read 77,776 times
St. Timothy's School in Raleigh offers an excellent pre-K program. It's in Raleigh but only a short drive from Cary.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,265,281 times
michgc posted the SAT scores of area schools recently if you'd like to look that thread up. You can explore local schools through the state-run site NCReportCard.org. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools and the rest of Orange County is Orange County Schools, but all the other communities in the area have public schools based on the county lines (no other city or town school systems). Raleigh/Cary schools are all Wake County schools. Durham is Durham County Schools. Pittsboro, and I think a portion of the outskirts of Apex, are Chatham County schools (most of Apex is Wake Co). Clayton is Johnston County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary