Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM

119 posts, read 178,204 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me a ballpark idea of cost for renovating an existing kitchen? We are looking at some homes this weekend with kitchens that are not what we really want.....in terms of a renovation project I have no idea as to costs. This would be for nice cabinetry (not top of the line but maybe a step or two down from that), quartz or corian (I HATE granite!) and backsplash. I can price out appliances for this but I haven't renovated or done a kitchen in 10-12 years and I am sure the prices have gone up from that time period! Also - think a mid-size kitchen with an island - not a huge kitchen but not a one person kitchen either! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,393 times
I would probably budget $15-20k for that. Cabinets are expensive.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liney59 View Post
Could anyone give me a ballpark idea of cost for renovating an existing kitchen?
Exclusive of structural or mechanical changes of any sort using the existing footprint and layout
(so HVAC, electric, plumbing and especially no walls or windows are disturbed)...

Quote:
...nice cabinetry... quartz or corian and backsplash (plus light fixtures, flooring, and paint)
With all appliances and everything else delivered, installed and warranted by one contractor...
still too many variables.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Never get that done for $15K with quality anything. As MrRational points out, the flooring, plumbing and light fixtures, + painting have to be considered in addition to the price of tearing out the kitchen, the cabinets, countertops, and backsplash.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Yes I would need to consider lighting, flooring and paint. Thank you for pointing that out. We used Brookhaven cabinetry in our last home and were very pleased with that. Good quality construction - nice finishes - it held up very well for the 12 years we were in our last home. I would not expect any structural changes in layout of the kitchen.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Never get that done for $15K with quality anything. As MrRational points out, the flooring, plumbing and light fixtures, + painting have to be considered in addition to the price of tearing out the kitchen, the cabinets, countertops, and backsplash.
$15K would likely get you decent cabinets in a kitchen with an island and a couple counters. Maybe the counters too, hard to say.

By the time you add sinks/faucet, flooring, paint, appliances, lighting, plumbing, maybe a tile backsplash you're talking another $10K at least.

We redid our kitchen several years ago and spent $30K. It was not a large kitchen and we shopped around. Could have easily spent another $10K if we hadn't.

When we were looking at homes a few years ago, I automatically added $25K to the price of any home with a kitchen that needed work. Was probably underestimating.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM

Thanks for that info....that is exactly the purpose of this thread - if I am looking at a home with a kitchen that I can't stand - I know I am going to want to redo it. Then the question becomes what is that ballpark number I should add in to the cost of that home to allow for a kitchen renovation.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Your ballpark should absolutely be 25-40K. If you're looking at homes over $500K, I'd add $10K to that, because it will be a bigger kitchen.

You should get a general size, an expected linear feet of cabinet/counter as well though. A 9x10 kitchen that has 3 walls (say 28 linear feet) of cabinets and counters is different from a larger kitchen.

The light fixtures, floor, plumbing fixtures - those should relatively be a near-constant. But do you want GE Profile, or something else?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
IKEA has really nice kitchen stuff for cheap. It's really pretty good quality stuff. You could probably do it for $10-$15,000 if you're really careful and super budget conscious and willing to do a lot of the work yourself. We redid our kitchen with IKEA a couple of years ago and I think it was about $10-$15 total w/ almost all new appliances (kept the stove), but we did almost all the work ourselves. We did have someone in for the electrical and drywall (had popcorn ceilings) and had help with the plumbing (although we didn't change much). We did all the cabinetry, countertops, painting, flooring ourselves. Completely ripped out all existing cabinetry and reworked the floor plan. Kept the sink in the same place, but everything else moved around. We have a pretty big kitchen, too -- 16ft x 25 ft, IIRC.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-16-2013 at 04:16 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
IKEA has really nice kitchen stuff for cheap. It's really pretty good quality stuff. You could probably do it for $10-$15,000 if you're really careful and super budget conscious and willing to do a lot of the work yourself. We redid our kitchen with IKEA a couple of years ago and I think it was about $10-$15 total w/ almost all new appliances (kept the stove), but we did almost all the work ourselves. We did have someone in for the electrical and had help with the plumbing (although we didn't change much). We did all the cabinetry, countertops, painting, flooring ourselves. Completely ripped out all existing cabinetry and reworked the floor plan. Kept the sink in the same place, but everything else moved around. We have a pretty big kitchen, too -- 16ft x 25 ft, IIRC.
Wow! That's amazing.

Friends recently redid the kitchen in their townhome with Ikea cabinets. No island. More of a hallway with cabinets and counters on both sides. She said they spent just over $20K on their remodel which included new appliances. They did all the work themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary