Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times

Advertisements

The Goodnight Raleigh photo blog has some really cool vintage photos of the Fairgrounds. Note in the second one (drawing), the Fair Grounds were at the site of current-day Raleigh Little Theatre (you can still see a lot of the curve). That would make the long road at the top Oberlin Rd, and that empty area at the top of the card is now Cameron Village!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,204,282 times
Neat photos. Since I'm still new here and was at my first fair last year, I can't compare what is there now to those photos, but I bet many people remember when it looked like that. That waterfall looks like it was quite a "thing". I can't believe they didnt rebuild it.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:32 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
they've had another waterfall/waterwall in. I have no idea if it's in the same location or not, though I doubt it since it sidles up to Dorton Arena.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,895,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
they've had another waterfall/waterwall in. I have no idea if it's in the same location or not, though I doubt it since it sidles up to Dorton Arena.
The old waterfall was down in front of the education halls close to where the State Fair offices are now. There was a shallow pool for ducks in front of the waterfall, and there were lots of them swimming around. It was my favorite little spot at the Fair. The waterfall was also the designated location to meet if someone should get lost. The old Red Cross became the new meeting spot in the 1970's when the old waterfall was torn down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary