Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 PM

143 posts, read 481,464 times

Advertisements

My BCBS plan is only going up 4.43. This thread has me confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Okay, so your premium is going up: Is it possible you qualify for a subsidy? Did you apply for a subsidy? Did you get a response?

Remember: the numbers you see on the Marketplace or in that mail you got from BCBS DO NOT reflect what you would end up paying if you get a subsidy.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM

498 posts, read 854,273 times
As for the subsidy, I wish it were based on last year's income. How are we supposed to know next year's income?!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Apparently my policy is not one that can be grandfathered. It's gone. No more. Bye-bye. Can't pick it.

Also a person can change to a grandfathered plan. It's the PLAN that has to be grandfathered, not the person. As long as certain criteria are met, such as the plan being continuous and having at least one person enrolled in it from before that 2010 date (and other criteria), it can still be used. I just wondered if any exist in our area to which I may move.
I disagree. I don't think you can change to a grandfathered plan. If you could, why didn't they offer you one?

Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
As for the subsidy, I wish it were based on last year's income. How are we supposed to know next year's income?!
I was told: you apply based on anticipated income. Your subsidy will be applied to your monthly premium. If your income increases, you will report that on your income taxes, then you will repay the subsidy in the form of a higher income tax. In that case, you would have to be smart about how much you have withheld from each paycheck OR save on your own to pay what you will owe. I suppose there could be a way to inform them upfront that you no longer qualify for the subsidy, but I haven't heard anything about it.

If your income decreases, you'll still be qualified for subsidies, but if you get MORE of a subsidy I don't know if that is figured into your paycheck or adjusted at tax time.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 PM

498 posts, read 854,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I disagree. I don't think you can change to a grandfathered plan. If you could, why didn't they offer you one?
I think that is because BCBS doesn't have any grandfathered plans to offer. Each year the plan was tweaked just a smidge so any chance of their plans being grandfathered went poof. Now, I could try to see if another company has grandfathered plans to offer, but BCBS wasn't going to point me to them in letter.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
This is all so confusing and heartbreaking to read.

All I can say is I hope the turnout at the next national election is astounding. Will it become "the" event for which people start camping out in line the night before? I hope so.
Don't get me wrong...I still completely support the ACA act. I may not *like* the premiums I am going to pay, but it is a world of relief to know that my policy cannot be canceled at the drop of the hat.

You have no idea of the level of anxiety we lived under for 10+ years worried about a cancer diagnosis for FINANCIAL reasons -- let alone the health reasons. Now, that cloud is totally lifted.

In fact, when it was enacted, I purposely changed my plan to get a plan that would fall under the new regulations. The change at that time was only $10 per YEAR. So, I have dug myself into this hole on my own. I could be sitting in a lovely grandfathered plan....but still dealing with that risk of the plan getting yanked from under me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
A 3 month cancer battle can be more than a million...
As Kelly237 stated, a 3 month cancer battle can completely break you financially. Each 'chemo' treatment can be upwards of 100k and if you are getting them every 2-3 weeks plus all the other stuff, it can be astonishing.

So....Thanks for putting it into perspective again for me kelly237 -- it is ultimately all about weighing financial risk with coverage...

Now it is a matter of finding a plan that works for us as a family and digging deep. Can you say bye-bye cable? and eating out? and extra driving?

And I will stop in to chat with BCBSNC and see if I can find something workable.

I am hoping the costs will level set itself out over this next year or two as the insurers get a better handle on how much it really costs to insure this someone unknown group of people.

Yes - we are fortunate that we can dig deep to get this covered.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Okay, so your premium is going up: Is it possible you qualify for a subsidy? Did you apply for a subsidy? Did you get a response?

Remember: the numbers you see on the Marketplace or in that mail you got from BCBS DO NOT reflect what you would end up paying if you get a subsidy.
Yes, my premium is going up, about $100 per month. My deductible is increasing from $5000 to $5500. No, I do not qualify for a subsidy (largely because I have to add the non taxable portion of my husband's social security to arrive at the income figure used to determine subsidy eligibility.)

Those who are looking at BCBS plans SHOULD ABSOLUTELY look at the Coventry plans that may be available in your county. They are cheaper, from what I have seen, but are designed differently, often having a preferred network (Duke if you reside in Durham County, for example.) Note that the Coventry plans are NOT HSA eligible which is a huge disadvantage if you are healthy and select a high deductible plan.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
Don't get me wrong...I still completely support the ACA act. I may not *like* the premiums I am going to pay, but it is a world of relief to know that my policy cannot be canceled at the drop of the hat.

You have no idea of the level of anxiety we lived under for 10+ years worried about a cancer diagnosis for FINANCIAL reasons -- let alone the health reasons. Now, that cloud is totally lifted.

I am hoping the costs will level set itself out over this next year or two as the insurers get a better handle on how much it really costs to insure this someone unknown group of people.
Two of our friends had to get attorneys when their health insurance was cancelled due to a cancer diagnosis. It was a nightmare for them. Glad that can't happen now.

Another friend was not able to afford health insurance for years due to a pre-existing condition -- high blood pressure which she managed with medication.

Can the grandfathered plans be cancelled if you get a cancer diagnosis?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:28 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, my premium is going up, about $100 per month. My deductible is increasing from $5000 to $5500. No, I do not qualify for a subsidy (largely because I have to add the non taxable portion of my husband's social security to arrive at the income figure used to determine subsidy eligibility.)

Those who are looking at BCBS plans SHOULD ABSOLUTELY look at the Coventry plans that may be available in your county. They are cheaper, from what I have seen, but are designed differently, often having a preferred network (Duke if you reside in Durham County, for example.) Note that the Coventry plans are NOT HSA eligible which is a huge disadvantage if you are healthy and select a high deductible plan.
That's only $1200-$1700 per year, depending on usage. Assuming the premiums are tax exempt, it reduces the real cost by another $300-400/yr. Nobody loves paying more, but this is still trivial, when compared to the cost that someone like WeLuvNC is looking at. And it is exactly why people, even young healthy people should not be allowed to go uninsured. It's not a "personal choice" when responsible people like myself (who has always paid for and kept insurance) are the ones that have to foot the bill when said "healthy person" defaults on their million dollar medical bill.

I've seen my private rates (via employer insurance, pre-ACA) go up at much greater rates for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary